Tips on replacing Harman Glass/Window Gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbythesea

Nov 28, 2012
Southern Maine
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the window gasket on my Harman TL200 Exception. It moves when the bypass damper gets closed. Just for fun, I tried slipping some newspaper under it and the gasket just slid around. Just to clarify, this is the door glass - not the afterburner glass.

The window has 4 screws and clips. The screws would not tighten any more and since the gasket is pretty crunchy in places, I'm just going to replace it. It will also be the very last thing on a complete rebuild of this stove. So it will feel satisfying to finish the job.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any tips or things to avoid. My biggest concern is to keep from breaking the glass. How tight is tight enough? The manual only says "an even amount".

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Just had opportunity to watch dealer tech replace mine on TL200.

1) Remove door by gently tapping hinge pins flush(He indicated sometimes you can't remove)

2) Lay door gently on tarp on my carpet. Large tarp so you can lay door and glass separately

3) Remove clips and screws. Torx I believe Save for replacement use.

4) Make a note of inside and outside surfaces of glass..He slipped up here so be sure you know.
5)Remove old gasket. It was a folded style original to stove.
6)Clean glass thoroughly , he had a solution.Sorry didn't see name.Clean it again
6)Clean Door surfaces thoroughly.
7) He then applied a SELF-adhesive style gasket, smoothly ,gently around glass OUTSIDE edge. He said don't pull or you will compress gaskets. It extended over glass with a no adhesive portion, that will be inside glass once installed.
It was like self adhesive weather stripping,but gently like pressing cotton ball in glue. Once he had it placed on glass he then pressed it down without stretching.
8) Lay glass back in door outside of glass and glass into frame. Non adhesive portion will fold to inside. Make sure its smooth.
Reattach clip and screws. Just tight , he didn't use an extra twist if you know what I mean.
9)Rehang door.

Status
Not open for further replies.