Tire Ages - too old to sell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Just had a situation come up when buying some new tires, and thought I would check here to see what the experts say?
I really didn't know about the date stamps on tires until this year when we got our popup, and realized that the tread was great, but the tires were almost 10 years old...so I replaced with new rubber.
Anyway, the subaru needed new rubber, so last week went to the tire dealer and picked up 4 new tires.
Got home, and checked the dates...and to my surprise the tires were mfg'd in April of 2009...thought that was a bit odd for a dealer to sell me tires that are almost 2 years old...purchased just last week?
Called the customer service, and they opted to replace with a newer set or send me 100 bucks....so I took the $100
Do tire dealers usually sell tires this old? (This was one of the larger tire dealers here in the northeast)
Like I said, I was slueles about the date stamping until this year.

Ya less than 2 years is not bad. I dont know the expiration limit on passenger vehicle tires but I think it's 4 years on commercial truck tires.
Nothing wrong with them. Tire shops usually have warehouses with absolutely NO windows in them . No sun no dryrot. Sun is a tire killer.
You did good getting the $100. I don't think they wood have had to with the age of the tire but like I said I'm not sure about the exp date on passenger tires.

It's good to check the dates on new tires, and best to try getting them within a year, but I'm surprised the tire seller offered you $ or replacement, because so many new tires sold are that old or older.

The date of manufacture isn't as important as it used to be, as modern rubber compounds are more stable, but sunlight and oil/grease have always been reported to be the big problems.

Most tires are chronically under-inflated, which wears them out faster than age, sun, or oil ever will.

I thought the $100 was odd, as I didn't really ask for any $$ back.
They offered the replacement with newer tires, but I told them I didn't want to take another 3 hours out of my day for the trip down, install, alignment, etc...
I just basically told them that I didn't think it was right to sell tires as new when they are 1 1/2 years old and they should pull those tires off the floor.. and thats when they said they could give me $100 off the bill....thought that was a pretty good gesture on thier part...we'll see I guess

yooperdave said:
you get an alignment just cuz of new tires?
It was the first alignment ever on the vehicle....2002 subaru forester with 123,000 miles....if you saw the tires that came off the vehicle you could see why it needed an alignment ;-)

daveswoodhauler said:
yooperdave said:
you get an alignment just cuz of new tires?
It was the first alignment ever on the vehicle....2002 subaru forester with 123,000 miles....if you saw the tires that came off the vehicle you could see why it needed an alignment ;-)
now i understand! sounds like something alse might be bad, though...ball joints or tie rod ends o.k? or just worn out settings from over the miles? my firestone dealer always checks these when he is putting on new tires or rotating them. i get free rotation for life whenever i buy 4 new tires and do take advantage of it sounds like that subaru is finally broke in....123k...

The ones in the front were fine, but the ones in the rear were really bad.
Last summer I had to replace 2 busted shocks in the rear...probably caused by too much wood in my 4 X 8 trailer :)
Ball joints are in good shape....car handles much better now after the tires and alignment

Being in the trucking biz I have tire guys stopping by the shop at least 2 times a month. A couple of years ago I bought 6 new recaps from one tire guy for my pickup. Sales guy was up front and told me they had been buried in the back of the warehouse and were dated 1998. He sold them to me for $11 each mounted and balanced on my rims. I wore 4 out in a year and still have 2 in the shop that are going on in the spring. Great tires ,great price and $ left in my pocket. If your not in a big rush you can find good new tire deals. An extra set of rims are good to have kickin around too.

It depends...of course. I've seen tractor and vehicle tires exposed to the elements last for many years without cracking or other apparent damage. On the other hand, I've found a lot of Chinese made tires that won't last a year outside before they start cracking and falling apart.

As Lee said, sunlight is hard on tires. Cover them somehow and you may actually wear the tread away before the sidewalls start cracking.

Got it tucked away (somewhere)
How do you read that code again ?
thanks
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.