Tjernlund Aireshare?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae78

Jan 10, 2016
Boston MA
Hello, I'm approaching my second season with my new stove. I definitely had some issues last winter with heat getting trapped in the stove room - even with a box fan blowing cool air towards the stove room. I'm considering either cutting in simple vents to the room next door or installing a Tjerlund Aireshare (http://tjernlund.com/airshare_ventilation.htm). I've found several mentions of the fan on here and based on what I've read I would want to use it to blow cool air towards the stove. The question I have is, how is that best configured? The benefit of this type of fan is air can intake high and exhaust low (or the other way around) or should I just put both intake and exhaust down low to get the cooler air blowing towards the stove?

Also, I've seen many people suggest this fan but only a couple that have experience using it. Anyone have experience/opinions with how well it works?

Thanks!!

For better or worse, a stove is a space heater. Blowing cool air into the room is the right approach, but that room will still be warmer, sometimes much warmer depending on the house layout and other particulars. My father tried various venting and fans when I was a kid to get the heat from our 90f kitchen, courtesy of the original VC Defiant, to the rest of the house. Nothing worked very well.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of the particular product you mentioned, but when in doubt I always check out the 1- and 2-star reviews on Amazon to get the perspective of critics.

Hello, I'm approaching my second season with my new stove. I definitely had some issues last winter with heat getting trapped in the stove room - even with a box fan blowing cool air towards the stove room. I'm considering either cutting in simple vents to the room next door or installing a Tjerlund Aireshare (http://tjernlund.com/airshare_ventilation.htm). I've found several mentions of the fan on here and based on what I've read I would want to use it to blow cool air towards the stove. The question I have is, how is that best configured? The benefit of this type of fan is air can intake high and exhaust low (or the other way around) or should I just put both intake and exhaust down low to get the cooler air blowing towards the stove?

Also, I've seen many people suggest this fan but only a couple that have experience using it. Anyone have experience/opinions with how well it works?

Thanks!!
Location and house layout will affect effectiveness. Knowing a bit more about the house, floor plan and stove location would help assessment. How tall are the ceilings in the house and in the stove room? Is there a ceiling fan in the stove room?

The house is a colonial - the room with the stove has one entry way, the other 3 rooms (kitchen, living room, dining room) on the floor each have 2 entry ways (no doors other than to a small 1/2 bath) a stair case smack in the middle. Bedrooms are upstairs - i have no delusions of getting heat up there. If those 4 rooms made a square, the stove is in the back corner. The stove room has 2 ceiling heights - 8' with the back part of the room with a sort of slanted ceiling (kind of like half the room is vaulted). the vaulted section goes up to probably 15' or so. The fireplace (with insert) sits in the space with the higher ceiling on an outside wall. There is a ceiling fan hanging from the sloped section of that ceiling. Ceilings in the other rooms are all 8' Hope that all makes sense. Really, my goal is to spread the heat around the first floor a bit more. I fully expect the stove room will always be warmer.

Thank you!

Sort of get the picture. Those pitched ceilings can be heat traps. Definitely run the ceiling fan to help circulate the heat. What room does the stove room connect to?

Before ordering anything I would experiment first with a basic 12" table (or box) fan in the room adjacent to the stove room. Place it on the floor so that it blows into the stove room. Turn it on low speed and see how that works after about 30 minutes running.

See attached. the stove is in the family room. the sloped ceiling starts at the line in the middle of the room.

I tried a fan pointing towards the room, it helped but not a whole lot. I was hoping that adding a vent or fan in the wall between the family/living room will help with convection.

Attachments

• snapshot1.png
    snapshot1.png
    9 KB · Views: 83
Not sure if that will make a big difference if the simple test didn't. Was the fan placed in the living room, adjacent to the stairs and pointed toward the family room?

Actually, it was in the hallway between the kitchen and family room... in hindsight maybe not the best location...

Maybe give it another try in this location when it gets colder.

snapshot1.png

High on the LR side low on the FR.
Is there a basement? If yes, another option to consider is an insulated, ducted system that pulls air from the dining room and blows it into the stove room. More air could be moved by this (~150-200cfm), it might be quieter and the heat distribution more uniform.

There is a basement, I've thought of doing that as well. I think I'll see where I can get with the fan on the floor before doing anything else. Thanks for you all your advice. Much appreciated.

Yes, I would try the fan on the floor in the location mentioned. Give it 30-60 minutes. I find it also helps to have a digital thermometer to track temp changes.

begreen, your recommendation of fan placement made a big difference. Thank you! Between that and keeping my ceiling fan in summer mode I'm able to keep the stove room in the mid 70s and the rest of the floor in the mid 60s with outdoor temps in the 30s. Now I just need to figure out how to get the same results with a less obtrusive fan to keep the wife happy...

I know one thing that has helped us move the stove room air in the house was to add return air vents at the ceiling level. Our heating / AC fan runs year round. This helps keep the house temp balanced. I spoke with our local heating guy and he recommended location of the return air vents. I added one of the two he spoke about to see how it would work. It has made a big difference. I block off one vent at floor level for every vent that is located at the ceiling. This has kept air moving through our stove room nicely ... it doesn't seem to cook the room out this year.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Status
Not open for further replies.