To paint or not to paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2006
I'm getting ready to sell my f100 and had thought I'd paint it to put the finishing touch on sprucing it up before the sale. Though the stove is in great shape I don't want to give the impression that its new, just to get it in it's best shape. Is it better to leave the stove as it is, or is the stove paint a protective finish and not just a cosmetic enhancement?

It depends on where you live and the climate. If the stove is likely to rust due to high humidity, then maybe it would be worthwhile. But if it's in great shape, just keep it clean and dry. Personally I wait until fall to sell. Every stove I've sold during fall went within a few days for asking price, including the pellet insert.

I don't think you are being deceitful by painting it. Smart, but not deceitful. If you were selling your car, would you leave all the junk in it or would you make it as pretty as possible? I say clean, polish, have everything documented. There's a certain amount of worth seeing a nice stove and knowing it's been taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.