Todays score and ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
I was told this is Ash. It was two years standing dead. This was the hardest dry wood I ever cut.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_4124.jpg
    IMG_4124.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 369
ggans said:
I was told this is Ash. It was two years standing dead. This was the hardest dry wood I ever cut.
Ash

ggans said:
I think so, green will normally have a green moss looking stuff on the bark. (not sure what the green stuff is)

ggans said:

I would say white ash also, we have some on the back hill.

zap

Looks like white ash to me . . . one of my favorite go-to wood to cut, split and burn.

Do you need one more guy to say it is Ash? lemme know and I'll say it. looks like ash, and there are lots of standing dead ash around your area.

So this was standing dead for two years so I'm told and it looked like it. It's been in my yard a few days now after I bucked it and is starting to crack. I thought it was ready to burn but the cracking is making me wonder, please advise...

The smaller limbs, maybe, the trunk, probably not until possibly the end of the winter, even though they are cut really short. ;-)

Then I'll stack it on pallets for next year. If I run out of my wood below I have some Locust cut last fall but not split until a few months ago, that's why it's on my deck, lots of wind and sun, and it's hot there. My other choice is some maple, this wood seems to be drying fast too, got it in big rounds in March I think. which should I use first? I have some seasoned wood to go through first so I should not get into any of the rest until January.

ggans, I cut some ash last winter that had been dead for a year. That is, the summer of 2008 it had some leaves but in 2009 there were no leaves. I would not have hesitated to burn that wood right after I cut the stuff. I was looking at that wood just yesterday and it is about as dry as some six year old wood we have. So, if you need it, burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.