Too many coals.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sedanman

Oct 21, 2006
If this has been covered before please accept my apology. My insert is currently producing a lot of coals that I have trouble burning down to ash. I do remember hearing a solution to this problem but I wasn't a woodburner at the time so I didn't pay close enough attention. I'm all ears this time. ALso, how often do you clean your stove/insert?

Sedanman, are you saying your stove gets the fuel down to coal and extinguishes? my stove can build up quite a bit of coal too, but I just let it keep burning and soon enough it is reduced to ash. If your stove isn't completing the combustion of coals to ash, I think you may have a air supply issue.

My solution, I burn hotter. longer burning fires. I try to wait until the coals are all glowing for a while before I reload with fresh wood. This seems to help burn the coals down to ash.

I learned that really good dry wood makes a huge difference in the size and amount of coals.

Of course it varies, sometimes I have a few clinkers left, I usually move them towards the front to burn on down.

If I let it go all night, then in the morning, I have to open my stove door very slowly because there is almost all soft fluffy ash..............so longer burn times seem to do it for me.

Robbie

The stove doesn't go out, I get a lot coal sitting in ash and the heat output drops off. Lots of red glowing coals. Add a split and get some flame and heat output is good again.

Rake the coals forward to the air inlets, then put a small split on top and burn it hot, then keep repeating this until the coals have dissapeared. Woodheat.org explains this.

I was the one who provided a solution to this in the past. The basic jist of it is to do as said, and let it just burn down with more air, but another option is to rake the coals into a front to back pile, but a split on either side of the pile, then place smaller splits across the two lower splits. You'll have created a little wind tunnel (I'm assuming the primary air is in the front like mine) and burns the coals very hot along with the 4 splits. Repeat as necessary.

It works great.

Second part of your question asked how often do you clean out your stove.....When I'm in the full 24/7 mode (almost there) I'll usually wait untill Saturday morning to clean out all the ash (about 2 inches) from burning 20 splits a day. Empty the pan, sweep out the box, clean the glass. So basically on a weekly basis.

DeanB said:
Roospike said:
Alright , I guess its alright to post the web link sense its a "Pacific Energy" stove that is being used as the demo .
******* ;-P **********

http://www.woodheat.org/tips/toomuchcharcoal.htm

Roospike - is that damper open all the time for that single-log burn?
Mine i normally run around 60% open damper as so not all the heat goes up the chimney when i run down my coal this way.

I had the same problem with my Regency and really did not ever totally solve the problem.

With a front loading stove, raking all the coals to the front is inviting "hot coals spilling out the door" syndrome. There would be so much, that it was impossible to rake it to the front and load the stove. PITA.

Sandor said:
I had the same problem with my Regency and really did not ever totally solve the problem.

With a front loading stove, raking all the coals to the front is inviting "hot coals spilling out the door" syndrome. There would be so much, that it was impossible to rake it to the front and load the stove. PITA.

Try my solution. it works.

Sandor said:

Must of been the stove you bought , I've never had that problem.

Roospike said:
Sandor said:

Hmmm, I really don't ever get to the point where I get so much that I can't load the stove.

Seriously, try what I said and see if it works. I'd be interested to see.

The harder the wood the more coals that can build up. Try alternating softer woods with harder woods.

Warren said:
Roospike said:
Sandor said:

Hmmm, I really don't ever get to the point where I get so much that I can't load the stove.

Seriously, try what I said and see if it works. I'd be interested to see.

The harder the wood the more coals that can build up. Try alternating softer woods with harder woods.
Warren ..............I guess the BIG questions is: When are you going to fix your Avatar. :eek:hh:

??? What's wrong with it?

ELM Ahhhhhrrrrgghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda like it. Although it's been a while since I've had to split any. Been enjoying a fall of burning pine and ash so far. A few peices of maple tossed in for variety.

Warren said:
??? What's wrong with it?

ELM Ahhhhhrrrrgghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda like it. Although it's been a while since I've had to split any. Been enjoying a fall of burning pine and ash so far. A few peices of maple tossed in for variety.

Nothing wrong with the Avatar its self , I thinks its one if the best ones out there . ;-)
I was wondering when you were going to down load to a new size so it shows up.

Roospike said:
Sandor said:

I agree. This is why I would not recommend a Regency for 24x7 heating (Among other issues).

The Regency is a great stove for instant heat, TONS of heat, and non 24/7 burns. It survives overfiring quite well, so I know its built right.

Status
Not open for further replies.