Too much ash, not enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I was very surprised yesterday when I couldn't get the inserts temperature up to heat our house sufficiently.
We've been burning like crazy, with the artic temps and knew there was a lot of ash in the box. Thought I could just blow by it with a great big fire. It wouldn't happen. I had to reduce the ashes by 25% then got it nice and hot. Very surprised. Burning in a Big Buck insert.

Par for the course!
Better off using the furnace or whatever to help heat the house in the deep cold instead of pushing a stove real hard.

In this crazy weather we will sacrifice some hot coals to the ash bucket every couple days if that's what we need to make room for some fresh splits.

I have been burning 24/7 since before New Year's. When the ashes/coals build up, I burn them down: once you have just coals left open the air all the way: the coals will glow, maybe some blue flames, stove stays nice and hot. After ~15 or 20 minutes the coals ash over. Stir the coals, let them sit another 15-20. I did this for almost 2 hours the one night: the stove and stove room stayed very warm and I was able to reduce the volume of coals and have more ashes to shake through the grate into the ash drawer for removal. I do this a couple of times per week when I get home from work so I have plenty of space for the overnight load-up. FWIW, a few thin pine lath do wonders to help the coals burn down: more than just opening them up to air would. Stay warm!

I have been burning 24/7 since before New Year's. When the ashes/coals build up, I burn them down: once you have just coals left open the air all the way: the coals will glow, maybe some blue flames, stove stays nice and hot. After ~15 or 20 minutes the coals ash over. Stir the coals, let them sit another 15-20. I did this for almost 2 hours the one night: the stove and stove room stayed very warm and I was able to reduce the volume of coals and have more ashes to shake through the grate into the ash drawer for removal. I do this a couple of times per week when I get home from work so I have plenty of space for the overnight load-up. FWIW, a few thin pine lath do wonders to help the coals burn down: more than just opening them up to air would. Stay warm!

I do burn down the coals, can't say I do it for two hours, but isn't there a point at which you will still have too much ash?

Right, but if you burn them down regularly and can sift them out (I have a grate with an ash drawer, not sure on Buck) you can remove ashes without cooling the beast down. In my former stove (TSC steel, Magnolia model I think) I would rake the coals to the side and shovel out the ashes that way. I think the name of the game is to 1) conserve the heat already in the firebox and 2) try to liberate as much from the remaining coals. My stove burns noticeably better with the ash under control: gives more access for oxygen to reach the wood I suppose.

Right, but if you burn them down regularly and can sift them out (I have a grate with an ash drawer, not sure on Buck) you can remove ashes without cooling the beast down. In my former stove (TSC steel, Magnolia model I think) I would rake the coals to the side and shovel out the ashes that way. I think the name of the game is to 1) conserve the heat already in the firebox and 2) try to liberate as much from the remaining coals. My stove burns noticeably better with the ash under control: gives more access for oxygen to reach the wood I suppose.

Think its just the exceptionally cold weather we are having here. Not used to burning so much (creating the ash).

This is precisely what happened to me burning thru the cord + of surface damp maple. Tons of ash created and not the best heat from the damper logs. Now I am burning doug fir and locust and it is the complete opposite. Nice long hot burns and almost no ash created.

Gotta love the locust. Hot and low ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.