Too much wood on hand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
BrotherBart said:
What is going on Dennis? Us old farts only post this kinda stuff when a doctor just told us something.

LOL :lol: Some of us still have daytime jobs BB. Though I am hoping to retire soon.

I am and he is. The question still stands.

Well my folks haven't bought wood in 3 or 4 years since they are switch to a coal burner next year. My Dad thought maybe this year, and almost put it in, but didn't want to sell the wood he still had.

I guess the coal deal is nice, big hopper like a pellet stove but much larger and it does everything on it's own. Call a place, they dump a load (ton?) of cole off.

No cutting, stacking, spliting, swearing, stacking, sweating.. you get the idea!

They have been burning wood since the early 80s and my Dad just got tired of it.

"Too much wood on hand" is one of those nonsense phrases that is simply gibberish. Like "too many fishing rods".

Good luck Savage hope everything works out for you and thanks for the motivation.

BrotherBart said:
What is going on Dennis? Us old farts only post this kinda stuff when a doctor just told us something.

There are more than one thing. I'm off to see a doctor in about 5 minutes but not sure if I'll know more then or not.

Backwoods Savage said:
BrotherBart said:

There are more than one thing. I'm off to see a doctor in about 5 minutes but not sure if I'll know more then or not.
Good luck Dennis, I hope it all goes well!

There is such a thing as too much wood. Turns out that it doesn't last forever. Just this weekend I sold 4 cords on CL that was extra since we had such a warm winter last year and since I had a lot of trees get sleepy and lay down at the woodlot. The red alder and doug fir woods don't make it when stored outdoors under tarps, I could see a touch of punk starting.

So my new plan is to always have two years worth on hand but to rotate it so that I keep third year wood sold. It's nice to sell wood, we get 200$ per cord here. Last year I gave away 6 cords that was also extra, good friends needed wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
BrotherBart said:

It's getting so that I hate going to the doctor. Odds are something else is going to turn up. Hope all turns out ok Dennis.

Thanks guys. The only thing I know so far is I'm having another MRI Wednesday morning. It is at 7:00 and we are an hour away so I will have to get up before the chickens for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks guys. The only thing I know so far is I'm having another MRI Wednesday morning. It is at 7:00 and we are an hour away so I will have to get up before the chickens for sure.
Good luck to you Dennis! I hope everything turns out OK!

BeGreen said:
It's getting so that I hate going to the doctor. Odds are something else is going to turn up.

I prefer denial to diagnostics. I hear I'm gonna die anyway, last thing I want to do is spend the last months of my life worrying if I'm gonna make it through another year or not.

Glad you're going, though, Dennis. Good luck with it all, and here's hoping everything turns out for the best. :)

I suppose it would depend on your location. Some places wood rots faster than others. Here in the northern rockies it is fairly dry and the wood stays nice for many years. I like to have a few years on hand although it doesn't always happen. I suppose as I get older I will try to have more in stock.

HAha, my grandparent's used to say that, though they meant around 4AM vs 5:30ish "normal" time.

Backwoods Savage said:

I would fire that kid after the first day if he was working that slow!

I used to haul in wood for people when I was growing up and 10 cords would take me and my brother about 2-2.5 days. Cut, split and stacked in the basement or near the house. Even still people would groan we were working too slow.

joefrompa said:
I'm a big fan of giving young guys this type of work to do, so I'm glad to hear you were able to do it. Even at 28, if I had a forest with alot of good trees felled or worth taking down I'd probably spend $300 to employ a kid for a week to do nothing but split and stack 5 cords for me. Not that I would need it, but that I'd get that "peach of mind" while helping the kid out and for not alot of money. Course, I find myself fortunate to be in a situation where I can spend $300 like that.

NATE379 said:

I used to haul in wood for people when I was growing up and 10 cords would take me and my brother about 2-2.5 days. Cut, split and stacked in the basement or near the house. Even still people would groan we were working too slow.

joefrompa said:
I'm a big fan of giving young guys this type of work to do, so I'm glad to hear you were able to do it. Even at 28, if I had a forest with alot of good trees felled or worth taking down I'd probably spend $300 to employ a kid for a week to do nothing but split and stack 5 cords for me. Not that I would need it, but that I'd get that "peach of mind" while helping the kid out and for not alot of money. Course, I find myself fortunate to be in a situation where I can spend $300 like that.
10 full cords in 2.5 days, thats impressive.

oldspark said:
NATE379 said:

joefrompa said:
10 full cords in 2.5 days, thats impressive.

Uphill. Both ways. In the snow.

I managed about four cords, cut and split last spring. Probably my last.
Bought another two.
Not looking forward to stacking it all and I'm behind.
Then I get to look forward to moving it into the house on a too
regular schedule all winter long.
There is certainly such a thing as too much wood.
Dealing with reality sucks but I overdo it less and less over time.

Go easy Dennis and lotsa luck-

Backwoods Savage said:

Good luck to you Dennis - nothing will come from it (EVERYthing crossed :) )

Just make sure, before you leave, to kick the hen house and get em up! Heck, if ya gotta be up, everyone/everybody/everything else is dang sure betta be up!

Good luck Dennis. Hope all goes well!

I just recalled a conversation, I had about a month ago, with a friend I haven't seen in awhile.
He said he spent over $10,000 last year on a new outside wood boiler and a log load.
He's since been dealing with an awful medical condition and is afraid it was money lost.
Got another friend, 83 years old who cuts and splits a little everyday, rain or shine.
I planned on doing the same thing but at 30 years his junior, I'm already forced to change my plans.
You can't always plan as you don't always see it coming, but it will come. You can't stop it.
Someday, too much wood will be, too much wood.

kenny chaos said:
I just recalled a conversation, I had about a month ago, with a friend I haven't seen in awhile.
He said he spent over $10,000 last year on a new outside wood boiler and a log load.
He's since been dealing with an awful medical condition and is afraid it was money lost.
Got another friend, 83 years old who cuts and splits a little everyday, rain or shine.
I planned on doing the same thing but at 30 years his junior, I'm already forced to change my plans.
You can't always plan as you don't always see it coming, but it will come. You can't stop it.
Someday, too much wood will be, too much wood.
Kenny are you haveing health issues, are we all falling apart, I have a knee that has an abcess on it and have to go the doctor today. It can be a challange to get old!

oldspark said:
Kenny are you haveing health issues, are we all falling apart, I have a knee that has an abcess on it and have to go the doctor today. It can be a challange to get old![/quote]

I've run into a bunch of old buddies over the last year and one day I had this realization I'd reached a new stage in my life.
The conversations always revolved around various health issues we're beginning to suffer.
There's no more boasting of the new job, woman, or other various conquests.
Just the aches and pains. It's really kinda funny.
It seems when people hit 50, their cheese gets moved. Nobody likes having their cheese moved but we're adaptable
and things seem to smooth out furly well after the initial, "Guess what?"

Backwoods Savage said:

Good luck Dennis.

Many thanks to all of you.

Kenny, if my cheese got moved it must have been a long time ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.