Top 5 fireplace inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texasoak

Feb 10, 2014
Austin
Hello All
I have a friend who is looking for excellent wood insert for his fire place.

I don't want recommend mine cause Vermont was sold to another company but let's us know what model you think is high quality.

He has large house with high ceilings that does not help situation. But he lives in Austin it's not normally to cold in winters.

Looking for something with removable ash pan. Solid door design and easy to operate damper and air controls.

Ash pans are somewhat rare on inserts. Is this a prerequisite? We need fireplace dimensions before making recommendations, but the Hearthstone Clydesdale is a popular unit for folks looking for a large fire view.

Ash pans are somewhat rare on inserts. Is this a prerequisite? We need fireplace dimensions before making recommendations, but the Hearthstone Clydesdale is a popular unit for folks looking for a large fire view.

Ash pan is not a must have but nice.

The dimensions in inches are
Front width 42"
Height 24
Depth 19
Back width 23

Do you know what style they are looking for or what style is the house? Modern, classic, victorian? Does he like the look of your VC insert?

Also important - is this a masonry fireplace or a Zero Clearance prefab fireplace?

+2 on the Clydesdale. I like the first one so much I'm installing a 2nd one. Very nice, great fire view - makes lots of heat. The Clyde was redesigned in 2009 to eliminate a few issues. The new one is really nice, has no issues regarding excess fan noise and has a really solid door closure. No ash pan but as previoulsy stated - ash pans are rare on inserts.

When I was researching I visited some stores that were burning inserts in the store. I found that the steel inserts delivered a harsh very intense heat that you could not get close to. The hearthstone stoves heat was more gentle and warming. JMHO

The Clyde has a big window too!

Status
Not open for further replies.