Top-down start. I am a convert now.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I've read several threads in the past about top down starting method and one recent one last week here. My last two start-ups I tried top-down and I will have to say it went very well. I was reluctant that the splits on the bottom would not catch well and be smokey. I will admit I was wrong. It was nice to have all the wood in the stove and not have to go back to add the larger splits like a regular build when the small splits are going. I had regular two splits on the bottom, a few small pine kindling pieces and a small piece of Super cedar. It does take a few more minutes to get roaring, but once going it works equally as well as a regular build. I found no issue with not having enough of a coal bed on re-fill.

I have no draft issue or smokiness on door openings, but I figured I would try it. Add me to the list of top-downers.

I always do top-down starts. I learned it on u-tube since I did not know crap about starting a fire. It always works like a charm for me...

I do side to side starts

I used locust for the splits on the bottom, which usually take a hot coal bed to get going.

I do front to back starts in my little Vista. Big (relatively :cheese: ) splits in back, smaller in front, kindling or wood bricks on top of the smaller splits, 1/4 Supercedar under the kindling or bricks (the bricks are in a teepee), light it and away it goes. I found the stove too small for pure top down starts, plus with the air coming from the front, it catches better with the smaller stuff in front.

Dunno why the surprise. Been doing it that way since '75, to minimize smoke.

suprised someone hasn't jumped up to say they use the "quick start" method, but then @$3.75 a gallon who'd a thunk it...................................LOL, only kidding! (I hope)

Don't start that many fires since I got my new stove but I love the top downs. I have a good supply of cedar and I lay the bottom splits with Oak usually and then start adding Cedar from there up. Nothing starts a fire like Cedar in my opinion and sometimes I'll intentionally open the door quickly to get a hint of that heavenly aroma.... I know, I know, sometimes I get a bit carried away with this love affair with woodburning.

Like doing top down in my old smoke dragon, but with my new EPA stove, the box is so small it doesn't work so well anymore. :(

Hankjones said:
Like doing top down in my old smoke dragon, but with my new EPA stove, the box is so small it doesn't work so well anymore. :(

You have found what I have. Every stove is different. My old fisher wouldn't do a top down fire for beans if I sprayed the wood down w/ white gas (that's an exaggeration but not too far off). Now w/ my new stove, it laughs at me if I have a brain fart and try to start it the old way. I have one old circulator that I gave up trying to start a cold fire in about 5 years ago. Now, I just start the other fire in the cabin and bring coals over from the hot stove to the cold one and then she fires right up. Don't ask me why it's such a miserable beast, I can't figure it but w/ just a few hot coals she's a storm trooper, w/out she's an ice princess.

The other stoves I operate regularly all have their preferences as well. I think it's really a matter of experimentation to fine tune your setup.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.