Top plate question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I noticed that my ss liner falls about half an inch from the top of the top plate termination. Liner is attached to top plate by clamp on top plate. Is this any issue? Wasn't sure if any creosote falling down from inside top plate was anything to be concerned by.

I recently had to re- attach top plate due to the original adhesive failing. I suspect liner moved down a bit when doing this. With it re attached now, I am trying to avoid re-doing this project. Thanks in advance

Once the liner is attached to the Top Plate, and secured by the clamp, you should not have a issue with it falling, unless the clamp wasn't secure.
I use a Silicone Adhesive Sealant on the top plates, and have not had problems with it coming loose, I like it better than the high temp sealants.

I used a generous bead of GE Silicone II on our to top plate. Several years later we had an earthquake that broke the old mortar near the roofline. The chimney rotated 45º, but didn't come down. It was being held in place by the top plate attached to the rigid liner. The silicone never lost its bond.

I'm thinking I will have to redo this so I can make sure liner ends above the top of top plate. I looks like the original install used Construction adhesive to adhere top plate to terra cotta liner. I didn't clean the difficult parts of that off and just put silicon over it and put top plate on the silicone. Seemed to bond well but afterward realized that now ss liner is about a half inch shy of top of top plate. How would I best take off the old construction adhesive (and the silicone) off the terra cotta liner without damaging the terra-cotta liner?

Stiff, flat blade putty knife.

How would I best take off the old construction adhesive (and the silicone) off the terra cotta liner without damaging the terra-cotta liner?
Like bg said a putty knife. But if you need some extra height and cant get it you can always take that terracota down to the crown it will give you the lenght you need on the stainless and it looks better in my opinion. We take them down flush most of the time.

Another option, would be to purchase a Liner to Liner connector, and splice a small section of flex liner to your existing one.

IMG_0916.JPG Want to make sure that the consensus is that it definitely needs to be fixed. Thanks in advance

And also, would a male to male coupler work? I don't much additional clearance?

A Top Plate will have a 3.25" tall collar attached to the top plate. There should be a band clamp about 1" above the top plate, that is what holds the liner in place. The liner does not have to go all the way to the top of the collar. Looking at your picture, it appears that you are fine with the liner being 1/2" short to the top of the collar top.

That liner is just fine. Rest.