torn on getting green enamel or blue/black for my Oslo 500. Any opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozyhome

Nov 16, 2011
Western Ma
So after much research on which stove to buy, now I'm torn on the color. It will be sitting in front of my fireplace which is built with old used bricks ( multi shaded red and white). I was leaning toward the blue/black finish but then wondered if the ivory or dark green enamel would be better. Any opinions out there? This is such an investment and I not only want it to work great but it needs to look good too! It will be in our family room where we spend most of our time.

A member here had problems with his green enamel chipping. Jotul took care of him in the long run, but he ended up switching to the blue black. The notion i gather is its a tougher finish.

He should chime in...

Nice stove good luck

We had the green enamel version and really liked the looks--we had no problems with the enamel chipping at all.

NP

That was CptOneleg's stove. It had a manufacturing defect in the finish, and the enamel was blistering off, not chipping as can happen from being struck with hearth tools. Consensus seems to be that BB is more durable, because it's more of a heavy paint rather than an enamel.

In the past Jotul has done an excellent job with their porcelain finishes. Our 602 is from the early 80s and it's still looking good. But after having the Castine and F3CB in blue-black I have to say that is my new favorite. I like the satin sheen, the understated color and have been told that it is more chip resistant than the majolica finishes.

Love our blue/black and we got a deal on it. Had there been a deal on green I probably wouldve taken that instead just because green is my favorite color.

Den said:
That was CptOneleg's stove. It had a manufacturing defect in the finish, and the enamel was blistering off, not chipping as can happen from being struck with hearth tools. Consensus seems to be that BB is more durable, because it's more of a heavy paint rather than an enamel.

We have the blue black. Whenever I saw the green I always thought to myself... Wow that is ugly! Then Cptoneleg posted a pick of his old one installed in his master bathroom ;-P That changed my mind completely. Awesome looking stove. Maybe he'll chime in and post it again. It was a sweet setup.

I would tell you my preference...but it's such a personal taste thing that I'm afraid if you took my advice and then you turned out hating it, you'd track me down and punish me.

Ours is Ivory, and we have been very pleased. Mine sits in front of a tile wall that is dark grey slate colored, so black would make it all look like a black hole.

The reason that the blue/black is cheaper and more durable it's the skim coat or first coat that companys put on cast iron before they do a colour. Ivory has always been the most fragile as it's the thickest and the rest of the colours are in between. I've personaly tore down and rebuilt several jotul stoves and the blue/black one we didn't bother to be gentle with them as even a cold chisel and hammer had a tought time chipping them, tended to just scrape some off and was easy to touch up if visable

earthy brown (majolica) looks real nice on red brick

Wow, great comments. I love hearing everyone's thoughts on the finish. I am still leaning toward the blue/black..... I think, haha. I like that it appears to be more durable and it has a different sheen to it than the other finishes. I have to say, the green looks pretty nice though too. I didn't have this much trouble picking out a new car, lol.

We have a Blue/Black F3cb which is a nice satin finish . My Aunt has a Brown Majolica finish Castine , it looks nice but we found it to be to shiny . If you are good with a photoshop program you could take some photos of your setup and add in the different color stoves . Also we found that the colors changed from the light in the showroom , with daylight and the lighting in your home .

Don't let the isolated bad paint job change your mind. That was me, and Jotul made it good with any color I wanted. I picked Blue/Black, and was told I would not recieve the $300.00 difference in the color.

The Majolica Enamel paint is well let me put it this way, you can see the 300 dollars in it, one heck of a finish. :gulp: I would like to see Jotul have B/B or just Black in Majolica Enamel :coolhmm:

fossil said:
I would tell you my preference...but it's such a personal taste thing that I'm afraid if you took my advice and then you turned out hating it, you'd track me down and punish me.

Ok what is it?

Do all blue blacks get the chrome handles too like majolica? Or same as a matte black?

Stump_Branch said:
Do all blue blacks get the chrome handles too like majolica? Or same as a matte black?

Mine are chrome don't know about all. CHROME= = My favorite color but it wont get you home

skinanbones said:
The reason that the blue/black is cheaper and more durable it's the skim coat or first coat that companys put on cast iron before they do a colour. Ivory has always been the most fragile as it's the thickest and the rest of the colours are in between. I've personaly tore down and rebuilt several jotul stoves and the blue/black one we didn't bother to be gentle with them as even a cold chisel and hammer had a tought time chipping them, tended to just scrape some off and was easy to touch up if visable

I recon that explains the 300

fossil said:

Mega
smilies-30222.png
the humor !! It's coming back !!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
fossil said:

Mega
smilies-30222.png
the humor !! It's coming back !!

Must be Tarzan----Jane Thing or just over my head.

Stump_Branch said:

For the original topic of the thread, we have the blue/black finish and we are very happy with it. However, I can understand how you are torn about the other colors. All the colors are very nice. I would say that the darker colors do not draw as much attention to stove. My subjective opinion.

Regarding the handles, I have the "chrome" handles. But they are not chrome, not sure what they are made of. Sort of reminds me of the nickel-type material that one sees in faucets, but lighter in color, more like a silver color. Probably some type of alloy.

Green Energy said:
Stump_Branch said:

For the original topic of the thread, we have the blue/black finish and we are very happy with it. However, I can understand how you are torn about the other colors. All the colors are very nice. I would say that the darker colors do not draw as much attention to stove. My subjective opinion.

Regarding the handles, I have the "chrome" handles. But they are not chrome, not sure what they are made of. Sort of reminds me of the nickel-type material that one sees in faucets, but lighter in color, more like a silver color. Probably some type of alloy.

Likely nickel plated cast iron.

Hands down . . . blue black . . . it's one of my only regrets with the Oslo . . . minor regret since I love my Oslo . . . but of course Shari delights in reminding me that she went with the blue black and loves it.

Ok everyone, the verdict is in. I was ALMOST sold on the blue/black Oslo but then kept looking at the brown enamel finish. I agree that the brown will look great against the used red brick fireplace. Sooooo......Brown enamel finish won. I will post pics after installation. We had to pull off the wood mantel and are having a brick mantel made. I never imagined so much went into buying and installing a wood stove, phew ;-)

The Brown is sure a LOOKER :gulp: Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.