Tractor for towing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt have my pics uploaded for my last post but got this one uploaded today. Not a pretty tractor but here is my 129 cub (1973) 12hp. pulling my 6x10 trailer 1400# empty weight 3500# axles. Not sure how much wood is on it, its pretty full and heaped but loosely. It'll pull this with the throttle barely over idle on flat ground.

My Cub 1000 (with the better tires & weights) is down since summer waiting for me to put in a new clutch so my 129 has been doing everything this summer, from mowing the grass to tilling the garden and hauling firewood. That one cost me $325 off craigslist with the 44" deck, ran good, but I did get it running like a top after adjusting the points. I have added antifreeze in the tires and chains (also my snow plow / snow blower tractor), the IH 3pt lift with sleeve hitch adapter, helper spring, and lights (yeah, back then lights were an option, and most didnt come with them). The good tires are on my 1000, need to get another pair of V61 front tires to replace the balloons. I also have a parts 1450 cub that I plan on swapping out the hydro to get a hydro lift on my 129 to help with plowing and tilling.

IMG_0132_800.jpg

There are far better tractors out there, but for the price these old cubs are great and very versatile IMO. I even plan on setting one of my 129's up just for logging, more on that to come maybe next year.

Looks like somebody is trapped under the hood and trying to grab yer son, lol.

Ohio,

That looks like what I was hoping might work. A small-ish tractor capable of pulling the full #3500 trailer. And about the right price.

I gather there is a difference between a garden tractor and a lawn tractor? Which is the Cub 129?

GT. The LT version had brigs instead of kohlers, right angle belt drive instead of a driveshaft, and weaker manual trans. Cosmetically they looked the same though. If you want to look into cubs more closely, check out this website http://www.ihcubcadet.com/ half way down you'll see a listing of every model number of IH built cub cadet GT's, and some quick info that defines the model. But basically the first numbers are the HP and the last number(s) are the series. Some dont follow that exactly. IH only built em until '81, after that was MTD/CCC, and many believe quality went downhill even though some of the later tractors were much larger like the SGT's. My interest is primarily on the actual IH built models.

Also realize that most never came with a ball hitch, so you'll have to fab or purchase something. One good place to go for custom machined cub parts & implements is http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/ (click on the 'cub cadet parts' in the middle) I have purchased several parts from him including my ball/pin combo hitch and beefier hitch brackets. Here is a pic of my hitch setup on my 1000:

IMG_1561_800.jpg

You dont need the 3pt/sleeve hitch to just pull wagons around, and they are more rare to come by. The link I provided above has a few hitch options for relatively cheap that will bolt right on and give you both a hole for pin hitch and ball hitch. I went with the lifting sleeve hitch for things like plowing dirt and tilling. Its also nice to back up to a trailer, lower the hitch, back under it, and lift the hitch up right into it.

I've got mine all for pretty cheap but realize I had been watching caigslist daily for weeks or months to come across each of those deals. Normally the ones for a couple/few hundred are junkers that havent ran and sat out in a field for the last decade or two. Often for decent running ones folks want $500+ depending on if it includes anything else. Restored ones can go over a grand. But good deals do pop up around here frequently. Also I hope your a decent mechanic, they are pretty tough old machines but most anything this old is going to need wrenching from time to time. The nice thing about em is that you can somewhat easily wrench on em, and most parts can still be found. Dont discount other brands either, or small farm tractors. I try to not be biased, still looking for an old IH, Ford,or MF small farm tractor myself. But after I find a good thing I tend to stick with it. Nice thing about having multiple cubs is the attachment between mine all will interchange, rear ends & transmissions and aside from some minor differences even the motors. One goes down I can use another in the mean time, and steal parts from yet another...

Danno77 said:
Looks like somebody is trapped under the hood and trying to grab yer son, lol.
LOL Didnt realize my gloves made it into the picture. Yeah between loads I like to air em out... all the levers and such make excellent spots to air dry the gloves and keep em with me.

Thats a sweet lookin' Cub.

I've got both a tandem axle trailer (7,000 #) and single axle trailer (3500 #). I regularly tow both with my X720 JD. But I wouldn't tow with that much weight, due to the braking. Make a extra trip or two to do it safely, and also it will create more seat time. But here is a picture of my baby hauling wood this morning.

e5fd341b.jpg

If breaking seems to be the biggest issue with towing a big trailer behind a small tractor, would it be practical/economical to rig up trailer brakes? Putting brakes on the trailer isn't more than a hundred or two. It seems like the whole project would certainly be cheaper that going with a tractor big enough to stop #3500.

Depends on how much charging system capacity there is on the tractor. Plus electric trailer brakes are designed to work at high speeds on pavement. Proportional braking controllers likely won't sense enough deceleration to automatically apply decent braking power and time delay controllers (the cheaper of the two) will frustrate you with either not enough or too much output and virtually never getting it "just right". Plus the huge draw (up to 20amps, Prolly 10 for a single axle) is rough on garden tractor charging systems of yesteryear. Most have up to a 10 amp capacity. Also the first time the brakes lock the wheels on wet, slippery territory, you're in for a ride! You may not be able to recover from the slide once it happens. If you only move the heavy loads around on level territory a super heavy duty garden tractor might be up to it but with all the ballasting/counter-weighting required, it's not just a hook up and go situation. Keep in mind that if the tractor isn't big enough to stop 3500lbs, then what happens when Plan A doesn't work as expected? Economical solution maybe but practical? I vote no. And it certainly carries some safety points worth considering.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
If breaking seems to be the biggest issue with towing a big trailer behind a small tractor, would it be practical/economical to rig up trailer brakes? Putting brakes on the trailer isn't more than a hundred or two. It seems like the whole project would certainly be cheaper that going with a tractor big enough to stop #3500.

The electric trailer brakes that I am familiar with only work going forward and stopping. If you try and have the brakes hold you going backwards, look out below!

pen

Brakes won't do you any good if your load is pushing you past your traction limit of your tractor tires. Kinda like having your tires locked up on ice! :bug:

Gary

Yes, and I've even been suggested that on other forums. For a real highway legal trailer then sure. Most folks using smaller tractors though are pulling large carts or wagons that dont have real axles. That pic above that shows my 6x10... I want to put a larger axle + brakes on it since the trailer was built so darn heavy duty, but the whole upgrade would cost as much as buying another trailer if I could find a good deal used.

And if you only want it for an emergency it could either be on or off, dont need to mess with setting up the feedback right or anything. But the traction issue mentioned above is another good point...

Ok so as I'm learning a little more about tractors I see the terminology is a big confusing.

There are lawn tractors, garden tractors, sub-compact tractors, and compact tractors.

Would a sub-compact tractor do the job of towing #3500? I see they run price tags in the range of $10K. Can they be found used for much cheaper? That John Deere 420 picture someone posted is way too big.

Spinning out going up a hill aint no picnic either.

Ok so as I'm learning a little more about tractors I see the terminology is a big confusing.

There are lawn tractors, garden tractors, sub-compact tractors, and compact tractors.

Would a sub-compact tractor do the job of towing #3500? I see they run price tags in the range of $10K. Can they be found used for much cheaper? That John Deere 420 picture someone posted is way too big.
One thing to take note of when looking to buy a tractor. The bigger they are the cheaper they are to buy at least comparing used. 10K will by a whole lot of farm tractor but new very very little. You could get 50-75 PTO HP for 10K in farm size. And remember this too small tractors are rated on the engine like lawn mowers and farm on the PTO. Sometimes that can be a big difference.

Something about this size. That is a 5 x10 trailer with approx 4000+ pounds on it (yeah, I know that is overloaded - it stayed very local). The tractor is a mid 70's Allis Chalmers hydro garden tractor (12hp). Yanks that thing around without any problem. Chains stay on at all times. The hitch is also custom.

Attachments

• full trailersm.jpg
    full trailersm.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 449
  • hitchsm.jpg
    hitchsm.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 380
U boyz got all the kewl toyz. :mad:

Jags said:
Something about this size. That is a 5 x10 trailer with approx 4000+ pounds on it (yeah, I know that is overloaded - it stayed very local). The tractor is a mid 70's Allis Chalmers hydro garden tractor (12hp). Yanks that thing around without any problem. Chains stay on at all times. The hitch is also custom.

LOL try that on my steep slopes & see what happens.

I've got a 5x10 trailer which rides on a single 3500# axle. How small can I go with a lawn tractor that would still be capable of towing it (3500#)?

Agree with the advise on getting a smaller, older farm tractor 50's or 60's versions. Should be available & cheap as in under $1000.

You simply can't beat having enough weight to handle what is hitched on & the breaking power/traction to get it all stopped. Stuff happens.

With the money saved you will be able to put turf saver tires on the farm tractor if you are worried about lawn damage.

Sub-Compact would do it if it had a loader or counterweight on the front end. Leave it in 4WD unless you're on level ground.

The 420 in the picture is a small farm tractor from the 50's. JD also made a super-duty garden tractor in the 80's that was dubbed a 420. About the same size as a 425 or X700 series.

Would a sub-compact tractor do the job of towing #3500? I see they run price tags in the range of $10K.

That 2wd 70s 25hp Kubota pulling my 5K dump trailer was less than $2K in nice shape. Same tractor had no problem with a 6' finish mower, brush hog, 8' rake, 4' tiller or 5' front snow plow. Not sure 4wd is worth paying for unless you want to run a loader. In that case, you are pushing 10K for something decent.

Jags said:
Something about this size

Damn, the back of that seat must be bigger than the hood.

Thistle said:
LOL try that on my steep slopes & see what happens.

Then I would break out either the VC Case, the VAC Case, or if you really need to pull - the DC Case. If I need 4 wheel drive I can get the old Jeep forward control out or just say Screw it and load it into the bucket of my backhoe and drive where I want. :lol:

I Gotz options. :coolsmile:

And Solar - its air ride too. Check out the seat on my big mower:

Attachments

• 100_1552sm.jpg
    100_1552sm.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 336
Jags said:

So, is that a lawn, garden or sub compact tractor? :lol: Beautiful machine.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

So, is that a lawn, garden or sub compact tractor? :lol: Beautiful machine.

None of the above. In 1939 when that thing was built, it was considered a full size farm tractor. Originally at 24HP and now pumped up to about 27HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.