Tractor supply 35 ton log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerpgh

Jul 2, 2008
pittsburgh, pa
Opinion on Tractor Supply 35 ton log splitter, or recommendations on splitter with similar price.

It is considered a very good splitter. I have its little brother the Huskie 20 ton model and I find it will go through anything I can lift or push and grunt underneath it in the vertical position. If you are going to have to hand push it around a lot you might consider getting the little one as the 35 ton one looks to be a bit heavier. If I had it to do over I would still get the 20 ton model which I think is now 22 ton rated.

I can speak of the 28 ton with the nice big Honda engine. It has barely hiccupped at anything thrown at it. Standing red elm, red oak, cherry, varieties of maple.....all green. Not a leak of fluid, and it has ripped through everything, no problem. Thats both horizontal and vertical, probably 6 cords or so. And the very wide main beam which is on the 28 and 35 ton are perfect.....no external cradles needed. You'll love it...............................Paul

I have seen them demo At tsc sould split anything and everything! Incuding a house if needed

I have the 35 ton. I have had it for 7+ years splitting 9+ cords a year and not one problem yet. I don't use it in verticle mode so I can't add anything there but anything you can throw at it it'll split (you can shear wood as well). Mine has the Briggs. Not too noisy (I wear ear plugs so it doesn't matter), starts easily, easy to maintain (changing air filter, oil and oil filter is a breeze). Fuel consumption is moderate in my opinion. It's a damn good investment. You won't need to purchase another.

Having said all that, if you do go to buy one from TSC you WILL have to purchase extra hydraulic fluid (I think they provide 5 or 7gal for "free"..I can't recall how much you'll need to purchase. Also, as they have some dim bulbs assemblying those in store, it's a good idea to give it a good once over BEFORE you tow it home. Make sure all the hitch bolts are good and tight as well as the wheel/hub fasteners. I didn't have a problem with mine but others have.

Personally I think 35 ton is overkill. I have a 22ton and made a 4 way wedge for it that it drives just fine. I haven't had the 4 way wedge for very long but the standard wedge has never been stalled in white oak. I would rather have a 22ton with a faster cycle time, like Baileys is selling, than a higher tonnage splitter.

clarkharms said:
Personally I think 35 ton is overkill. I have a 22ton and made a 4 way wedge for it that it drives just fine. I haven't had the 4 way wedge for very long but the standard wedge has never been stalled in white oak. I would rather have a 22ton with a faster cycle time, like Baileys is selling, than a higher tonnage splitter.

I went with the 35 ton as I get into some gnarly hedge row oaks that are all knots and wind whipped but per tree there is a lot of wood to be had. Before I bought mine I borrowed a buddies 20 or 22 ton splitter. Worked great but I had a pretty big pile of wood left over that it couldn't split. I figured for a one time purchase i'll get what I need to split any wood I can get and it fits the bill. It all depends on the wood you are trying to split.

I am surprised a 22ton splitter couldn't handle the oak you were trying to split, I have only been able to stall my splitter once and I have tried several times by putting knots into the splitter the wrong way. Usually the wedge shears the wood until it gets far enough along so that the wood starts to split again. Usually in this type of wood the piece wil almost explode as the wedge breaks through. I guess there are many variables maybe my wedge design is better fo knotty wood than the one you were using?

clarkharms said:
I am surprised a 22ton splitter couldn't handle the oak you were trying to split, I have only been able to stall my splitter once and I have tried several times by putting knots into the splitter the wrong way. Usually the wedge shears the wood until it gets far enough along so that the wood starts to split again. Usually in this type of wood the piece wil almost explode as the wedge breaks through. I guess there are many variables maybe my wedge design is better fo knotty wood than the one you were using?

My buddy was suprised too. He even gave it a go and he couldn't get them to split. Don't get me wrong, that 22 ton split stuff I didn't think it even had a prayer of splitting and did so fairly easily...but some of those pcs were just plain mean.

It's possible the wedge design may be part of the culprit but those pcs that wouldn't split were first on my list when I got the 35 ton and it didn't have a problem with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.