tree cycle followup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
How did the tree cycle work out? I was approached by an employee(tree cycle) at the grocery store today. He asked what
kind of Pellet stove I had. (He saw water softner pellets in my cart) LOL. I told him I had a harmon, and he
says the pellets work great in them, but not so great in the quadrafires? I might be able to pick up a ton
for a real good price. Don't really need it but if they work, maybe. Thanks.

Jim

Jim, what was the "real good price"? There's a guy on Craig's list near me that's selling TreeCycle pellets for $235. Believe it or not, I think he owns an auto body/collision shop...that's what the address he sent me went to.....guess everybody is getting in on the act. :roll:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/1503427097.html

I paid 220 a ton del (but i bought 16 ton) i have a harman and dont have a problem with them but anyone with a quad has some problems with them. i like tghem becaue the plant is only about 15 miles from my home so i never have any fines in the bags......I also spoke to bob the owner of the company and he said they are going to refine the pellets for next year to get them to burn much better for the people with quads.

They are still burning pretty good for me. They seem to be burning a bit dirtier than in the beginning (probably need to do a leaf blower cleaning) and I still have some clinkers but not too bad. I will still buy these again next year unless I start to have burning issues.

I started with the pellets from Lowes then switched to Tree Cycle. They burn better! Plus they are the cheapest I can find here in NE PA.

I will let you know. I may have a way to get some cheaper then normal. I don't want to say anything yet until I can confirm
and get an idea of price. I really should be ok with the Lignetics I still have, but a good deal is a good deal.

I don't have a problem with Treecycle in my Quad. I don't have a problem with any pellet so far. I don't sift no stinking fines either. Now that it's very cold I have to drop the clinkers once a day and vacuum/clean glass once a week. The stove is heating a 1600 sq. ft. doublewide at 69-70 degrees 24/7. I like the treecycles. Cheapest I've seen them is a guy by me who buys them by the truckload and sells on Craigslist for 255 a ton.

namz111 said:
I paid 220 a ton del (but i bought 16 ton) i have a harman and dont have a problem with them but anyone with a quad has some problems with them. i like tghem becaue the plant is only about 15 miles from my home so i never have any fines in the bags......I also spoke to bob the owner of the company and he said they are going to refine the pellets for next year to get them to burn much better for the people with quads.

What kind of problems do quad owners have with these? Just curious.

I thought I read a post about a Castile having issues. I think it was on the Treecycle thread that I started.

Well from what treecycle says the quad rep told him that quads where not made to handle hardwood pellets they tend to clinker up real bad that it snuffs the fire out and over fills the burn pot, quad did not have an answer as to why it does this but I was told if you slow the feed rate all the way down and give it more air you can burn them. However I have also been told the newer quads seem to burn the hardwood better then the older quads.

well, i just got back from the plant in Nazareth pa. I spoke with the plant manager (Mike Zanette 908-413-7819).
When they change something on the line and the bags are not 40lb bags they cannot resell because of the posted weight.
They will have every once in a while a small batch they cannot sell to the public but need to get rid of. They employees usually will have 1st pick, but I lucked out and they have a few tons left. They price is great. The normal way to get the pellets would
be from Cozy Barn and George. But like I said, these cannot be resold! I know someone on here is a dealer in another state
and Mike is willing to send some samples out to test if you like. I poured my 1st bag in while unloading my truck and found
no real dust (fines) to really even mention! It is a hardwood and the older quads seem to run better on soft from what i have been told. I will send another update when I get a few bags thru. Keep in mind I have been burning Lignetic hardwood, so It should be a good test!

Jim

Jim H. said:
well, i just got back from the plant in Nazareth pa. I spoke with the plant manager (Mike Zanette 908-413-7819).
When they change something on the line and the bags are not 40lb bags they cannot resell because of the posted weight.
They will have every once in a while a small batch they cannot sell to the public but need to get rid of. They employees usually will have 1st pick, but I lucked out and they have a few tons left. They price is great. The normal way to get the pellets would
be from Cozy Barn and George. But like I said, these cannot be resold! I know someone on here is a dealer in another state
and Mike is willing to send some samples out to test if you like. I poured my 1st bag in while unloading my truck and found
no real dust (fines) to really even mention! It is a hardwood and the older quads seem to run better on soft from what i have been told. I will send another update when I get a few bags thru. Keep in mind I have been burning Lignetic hardwood, so It should be a good test!

Jim

Are you gonna keep himhawing around or are you gonna tell us the price you paid already?!!!!! :) Actually, I'm confused...you did or didn't pay for these?

Jim H. said:
Mike is willing to send some samples out to test if you like.
Jim
Jim
If he wants to send samples. I can add them to my review. I am not a dealer. But the forum can see the results.

Let me know
jay

When I called they in the summer I was told they would not sell to customers only to dealers? When did this change? If they are selling to customers individually what is their prices for a ton? They told me to call George at Cozy Barn to get them, lol.

they do not sell to customers normally. please re read what i wrote. They cannot sell less the 40lb bags to
cozy barn so they have some they need to move. these are less the 40 lbs and are not for re sale. hence can't sell to dealers but will sell if/when they have an odd bag. they had a few tons. call, you will not be dissapointed. this happens occasionally. cozy barn is the normal source. make sense? i was only trying to help. the price is definately cheaper then what was earlier in this thread on craigslist.

jtakeman said:
Jim H. said:
Jim
Jim
If he wants to send samples. I can add them to my review. I am not a dealer. But the forum can see the results.

Let me know
jay

Jay, with all of your testing i am sure he would love to get in the mix. maybe send him your results so far. his email is mikez at treecyclellc.com you will have to use the correct symbol for "at". and keep all together.

let me know how you make out. he is very nice and really want to make a great pellet.

Jim H. said:
jtakeman said:
Jim H. said:
Jim
Jim

Let me know
jay

Jay, with all of your testing i am sure he would love to get in the mix. maybe send him your results so far. his email is mikez at treecyclellc.com you will have to use the correct symbol for "at". and keep all together.

let me know how you make out. he is very nice and really want to make a great pellet.

Will do. Email is sent!

I think that the issue with Treecycle is that they "currently" are not producing a Premium Grade / Low Ash Pellet..... Not really sure what grade pellets they would be but definitely not top grade.....

Jim H. said:
jtakeman said:
Jim H. said:
Jim
Jim

Let me know
jay

Jim,

I have been in contact with Mike at Tree cycle. Seems like a very nice gentlemen. He has offered to send me some product after they tweak there process. He has also offered me a Tour of the plant. If I ever get a chance and have plans to be in PA. I will definitely take him up on that offer. They seem to know what there issue's are and are working to iron them out. He also stated that all mills have start up process issue's. I agree with him And I honestly feel they know what they need to do next. Mike will notify me when they are going to send me a sample to test. I will keep you posted.

jay

thats great Jay. He is very nice and i mentioned fines as an issue with other brands and he showed me how they suck them right out with a vacum process. he also showed me all the cutters and how they keep the pellets at the right size. They are burning just as hot as the lignetics i usually burn. it will be interesting to see official results with some guages etc. Keep me in the loop.

Jim

Just my 2 cents.
Burned 2 bags from Cozy Barn (4.50/bag) and am pretty happy. They ignite and burn quite well and are much cheaper around here then Lignetics or others.
The clinker forms pretty heavy when the stove is idling to stay lit with just a small flame. The clinker is rock hard and slightly glassy, which isn't the case with other brands I burn (O'Malley, Lignetics, Somerset etc). My PC45 has a horizontal burn bot so the clinker kind of falls off the lip but bridges also producing a slight log jam.
Those without horizontal burn pots probably shoud'nt burn these on low. I think they are worth the price for sure and I'll probably get a ton or 2 next year and burn them when the stove is really cooking. An acceptable pellet in my book- just burn them hot.
Bag was dated 9/09.
length was perfect. Nothing over an inch.
Very pleasant aroma.
Several pellets were noted to have a rough surface instead of the smooth surface. Never saw that before-ever. Maybe they were wet at one time at the store.

We have two quads a castile and mt vernon. One old P23 Breckwell and a Harman boiler. We sell and burn NEWP and just recently Tree Cycle and the Tree Cycles have burned great in all four stoves. We noticed that they were 2 degrees hotter and in the Castile on low setting it made what looked like coral reef. Very hard and sharp clinker almost like there might have been sand in the pellets that turned to glass from the heat. I will burn a bag and take a picture its neat looking actually. Once we get the old stock out of the yard we will be selling the Tree Cycles for $225 delivered for 4 tons or more in the Upstate NY area.

i have had a chance to burn about 4 bags (36lbers). They do burn hot, and they have a heavy ash that sticks together in a clump. my glass is almost as clean as when i officially wiped it down. they are clean burning, very little fines at all. I look forward to what Jay finds out....and Jay, when you are coming to town let me know, I am about 14 miles from the plant. I know they were working on a different mixture, i took some of the oddball bags instead of the newest. Jay will get the latest recipe from Mike. The regular price from Cozy Barn is not bad for this pellet, and if you get in on an odd lot, the price is even better. Take care everyone. Merry Christmas.

19372_1212761367206_1473931141_30715392_7034892_a.jpg
19372_1212761407207_1473931141_30715393_3501864_a.jpg

These are the pics of the clinker from the burn pot after one bag of tree cycle on the medium heat setting. It takes a hammer or a good stomp for get it to break apart and the edges are sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.