Tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I just got the new Baileys catalog and there is a "tool" for around 10.00 that is like a paint fandex for IDing trees. Has plastic leaves , bark patterns and a brief description. Looks to be a great Gizmo . Does anyone know about these?
Thanks,
Mike

got a link?

loon said:
http://www.baileysonline.com/

Do you have a link for the book its self? Cant seem to find it on there site.

Very Nice put one in the shopping cart.......10.00 bucks sold!

mtarbert said:
I'm thinking Stocking Stuffers for all the nieces and nephews And one for uncle Mike too

Lol, I have a birthday coming up cant wait til x-mass. Looks like its well put together and all the right info great tool.

benjamin said:
Shall someone write an obituary for the ever poplular "tree id" threads?

Nah, they'll never go away . . . the guide only has 50 species and folks here hail from a wide variety of climates so there is always a good chance someone will run across a tree not in the guide.

On the flip side, this seems like a pretty neat idea for getting an idea of some of the more common tree species . . . or at least getting a rough idea as to whether the tree is a maple, oak or ash . . . which can be a challenge for some folks.

I saw that in the catalog too. Let us know how it looks in person. I could always put that on my b-day list.

In the Forestry class I took many years ago, they taught us to identify trees by the leaves. This tool is neat for doing that. On the other hand.........I get my wood already cut-n-split, so I don't have the advantage of seeing the leaves.

I've been sneaking peaks at these books in the bookstore for years.......I guess I'll just break down and buy one for a change!!

http://www.amazon.com/National-Audu...r_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280922187&sr=8-4#_

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.