Tree ID please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 140
Stand in your chair and tilt your head or turn your monitor upside down! LOL sorry!

Looks piney, but tough without seeing more.

I'm not good at this but it looks like Cherry 2 me. Pic 4894 is the Cherry I'll be working on when we get rid of the snow & ice, looks like the one pictured for the I.D.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_4894.JPG
    100_4894.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 159
Yeah, looks like zap is right.

Reactions: ScotO
They are on my land but Ive never seen any cherrys lol. Looks like zap is correct tho. Or dang close.

at any rate, would it be decent stove wood? after seasoned of course.

at any rate, would it be decent stove wood? after seasoned of course.
We burn about 3 cord per year, we have plenty on our property so we take what Mother Nature puts down. Some people will call it shoulder season wood, disregard that chit, you'll like it.

When we hit our coldest time in the winter we do switch 2 burning sugar maple & beech. We do heat from the basement or else we could burn it (Cherry) during the coldest months.

I hate to sound weird but give it a sniff. Cherry has a pleasant odor to it......
I'm thinking Zappy is right on the money. He knows his cherry (and about every other wood out there, too!)

They are on my land but Ive never seen any cherrys lol.
Black Cherry fruit is pretty small. I think they are edible. Better check that before eating one, though. :oops:
As mentioned, once you split a round you'll know if it's Cherry. I love burning it; Great mid-output wood. :cool:

Black Cherry 4sure

One of the best all round woods for lots of uses.Furniture/Cabinetwork,Woodturning,Carving/Sculpture,great heating fuel & pretty much my fav now on the smoker,especially if Apple supply is getting low.

Brisket over Black Cherry for 5-7 hrs is unbelievable......::-)

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 98
I was thinking cherry right away also and I have a lot of it always.

One of the best all round woods for lots of uses.Furniture/Cabinetwork,Woodturning,Carving/Sculpture,great heating fuel & pretty much my fav now on the smoker,especially if Apple supply is getting low.

Brisket over Black Cherry for 5-7 hrs is unbelievable......::-)
I think Mr Thistle knows how to live.
Two thumbs up on that recipe!!

My first guess was cherry ,but ZAP gets the prize ;lol

It's deffinately cherry
If you haven't seen the fruit you've surely seen purple bird poop in the vicinity

As for smoker wood I use only a piece in with some hickory - by itself it can be a pungent

Based on the first pic I was figuring it was some tree grown in the Land Down Under. ;)

Be very careful when you fell this tree! They are known to fall strangely when grown upside down.

Lasso required.

Status
Not open for further replies.