Tree ID, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
Found on curbside. No leaves or twigs - Just 12"-16" rounds in 4 foot lengths (Pretty dang handy!). Splits super easy. Thanks, Doug. WoodIDa3.jpgWoodIDa1.jpgWoodIDa2.jpg

Doesn't smell like much - other than "wet". Real wet - maybe 50% MC. Here are tighter bark shots.

WoodIDa5.jpg WoodIDa4.jpg

I have a Resolute Acclaim too, I love that stove.
Thanks for the extra bark shots but they didnt help confirm Red elm. But I still think thats what you have.
Beautiful wood huh? It is medium heat. Like maple or cherry....

Except for the color of the wood being wrong I would call it as Ailanthus. That is also going on the trees that I know from the Northeast. I'm sure there are many that I have never handled in Alabama. It does have wide growth rings. Smoother but lightly textured bark, with vertical pattern. Real wet and heavy when green.

Last edited:
The Resolute Acclaim is one handsome stove. This is a beautiful wood.
From the bark pics I saw on wiki, it does look like Ailanthus but lack of foul odor seems off.
I got 1/3 cord - even if short burn times - the ease of splitting is fabulous. If I miss with 8 lb maul, the air current will split it.

The heartwood looks like walnut. If it is walnut it will have a distinctive odor.

Hickory.
fv

Except for the color of the wood being wrong I would call it as Ailanthus. That is also going on the trees that I know from the Northeast. I'm sure there are many that I have never handles in Alabama. It does have wide growth rings. Smoother but lightly textured bark, with vertical pattern. Real wet and heavy when green.

I was thinking the same thing. Bark looks a lot like ailanthus, but heartwood is too dark.

Not walnut bark. Its red something.

Bitternut Hickory or Pignut Hickory??? Obviously not shagbark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.