Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlankford2

Nov 29, 2011
Kalamazoo MI
Please help with ID. should I add this to my wood hoard? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Plow Boy
Poplar/Quaking Aspen depending on what the local name is.

Real light and fast burning, not worth going out of your way for and definitely leave behind if you have to make a choice.

They are fast growing and they pull sunlight and nutrients from slower growing trees like hickory. I burn about 2 cords a season. The wood splits like a dream, easy to stack (pretty straight and lightweight) and dries quicker than heavier woods. I use it to start the denser woods.
Aspen

poplar, aspen
Lower BTU stuff, but it dries fast,
I use it for my outside fire pit wood.

Is that the same stuff in the last pic? Some of that looks like it might be hard Maple??

That looks like big-tooth aspen (Populus grandidentata). Quaking aspen has smoother teeth on the leaf margin (edge) and we have those here, but not big-tooth aspens which grow in the upper Midwest and northeast US. Light wood, not that high in heat value. Some back east consider it trash wood and like burning pine better. Shoulder season wood at best.

Reactions: TreePointer
Thanks for all the help. This is in the woods next to the house and came down with some wind, easy to get to so I think I will add it to the shoulder season stack. the pile in the last picture is red oak, white oak, ash, black locust and some maple and walnut. only about half the pile in the picture.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Rlankford2, no reason to not get it. Just don't expect long fires with it. It will dry fast and makes good wood for fall and spring burning. Even mid winter we'll sometimes burn some during the daytime.

I would get it if you have the room.Makes really nice starter pieces when very dry and split to 2 inches or so.

Like everyone else has said, that is Bigtooth Aspen. I like to process it because it is easy to split. You could probably make some nice kindling out of that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.