Tree id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcamp38

Nov 9, 2015
Michigan
Could you tell what kind of pine trees these are?

Attachments

• Tree id
    0123161210a.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 173
I tried zooming in, looks like white pine, due to the pine needles being long and in a ball shape. Is that the case?

Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris. The orange bark on upper branches is the giveaway. I've read it was/is a primary Christmas tree species in the Lakes States. In New England it was planted widely in the Depression for timber, with almost zero success.

Yep, Scots Pine. Like Pallet Pete says, the orange bark is unique among pine trees you'll find in the eastern US. These aren't native but have been planted all over the place. I have about two cords of this wood stacked in the back yard. It burns great after a year in the stacks. The trees I have processes were not as easy to split as I imagined they'd be because there were a lot of knots and branches, but it isn't one of the more difficult woods to cut or split.

Yep, Scots Pine. Like Pallet Pete says, the orange bark is unique among pine trees you'll find in the eastern US. These aren't native but have been planted all over the place. I have about two cords of this wood stacked in the back yard. It burns great after a year in the stacks. The trees I have processes were not as easy to split as I imagined they'd be because there were a lot of knots and branches, but it isn't one of the more difficult woods to cut or split.
Thanks. These are on my FIL property. He thought they were jack pine. I've burned probably 3-4 cords the last 2 years. I know its not the best wood but its free and not to far from my house so I'll take it.

What kind of burn times do you get with this wood? I have a woodstock fireview and I'm getting about 4-6 hr burns out of a load. Does that seem right?

Status
Not open for further replies.