Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jvd850

Jan 11, 2016
Pittsfield,Mass
Hi everyone I've just started collecting wood for my new wood stove and so far I've gotten all of it for free. I came across some of this that I thought at first was ash. I tried splitting it today with a 6lb maul then a wedge and sledge hammer but nothing. Could this be elm? 3dfd5c6d9ab71811d87c398e4ffb9e25.jpg7d671a81752365a84afbd9aaacc18ad6.jpg

Might be blackgum. Bark is right, and blackgum is very difficult to split.

Are those from the same tree? Bark is different. #1?? Maybe a maple. #2 could be ash from the bark. Usually easy to split unless it's not fresh cut or a yard tree. Could be gum, but never had any personally.

Yeah that's actually the same log just rolled over. I noticed that the bark was very different. I just bucked this tree about 2 weeks ago so it is still fresh

I would say ash. It looks knotty, make sure you are splitting it so the branch points towards the ground, refer to the photo. I split some rounds the size of those and the knots made it a lot more difficult. I was using an 8lbs. splitting maul.

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 78
Yep, looks like boxelder (maple), so opposite branching/ bud habit. It's a soft maple, so burns quick. It should've been fairly easy to split unless you tried a gnarly chunk.

Box elder will have a red streak down the middle. Bark does look like box elder

Status
Not open for further replies.