Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vatmark

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2017
Nebo NC
Does anyone know what kind of tree this is?

Tree ID Tree ID

+1 for chestnut oak (Q. montana)
Blocky ridged bark combined with ellipelliptical shaped leaves with a crenate margin are distinctive for chestnut oak.

Thanks. Unfortunately the tree has to come down. Leaves are only on the trunk of the tree and the entire top of the tree is dead.

I'm also saying chestnut oak. Common in the county next to mine. I found it harder to split than white oak or red oak, but it's good firewood.

I was going to guess chinquapin if that's the correct spelling but I would have been wrong probably. I'm not familiar with chestnut since we don't have any here that I know of.

Thanks. Unfortunately the tree has to come down. Leaves are only on the trunk of the tree and the entire top of the tree is dead.
Nothing unfortunate at all, you get some great firewood. My brother had to take down a few and it's all going in my pile.

Nothing unfortunate at all, you get some great firewood. My brother had to take down a few and it's all going in my pile.
Yes it will be nice to have the wood but really didn't want to lose this tree because we don't have many trees in that area. Now the leaves that were on it are all dead. We already lost another big oak close to this tree in an ice storm. Got lots of wood from that one.

Tree ID