Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Any ideas on the ID of the bigger tree in the picture. Here are two more pictures, it's cedar.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0564.jpg
    100_0564.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_0580.jpg
    100_0580.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_0581.jpg
    100_0581.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 217
Maybe a white oak?

No, but I know which way is north!

gzecc said:

Blaze82 & gzecc I'm going back in that area later today and will get a picture of the leaves. I think it's cedar.

zap

zapny said:
gzecc said:

Blaze82 & gzecc I'm going back in that area later today and will get a picture of the leaves. I think it's cedar.

zap

I was going to say the bark looks like eastern white cedar . . . if it has its "leaves/needles" I could tell you if it was cedar in a New York Minute.

firefighterjake said:
zapny said:
gzecc said:

zap

I was going to say the bark looks like eastern white cedar . . . if it has its "leaves/needles" I could tell you if it was cedar in a New York Minute.

I took a quick look last night at the leaves/needle and think it has needles, picture coming tonight. Not to many needles left until you get about 7-8 feet off the ground, so I think the deer had been eating there.

Zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:
zapny said:
gzecc said:

zap

I took a quick look last night at the leaves/needle and think it has needles, picture coming tonight. Not to many needles left until you get about 7-8 feet off the ground, so I think the deer had been eating there.

Zap

If the deer have been eating it then it's a pretty good chance it is cedar . . . they tend to really like eating the stuff.

The "needles" on cedar as you may or may not know aren't really needles . . . or leaves . . . they're . . . well . . . cedar . . . it's kind of hard to describe.

Here's a link with a drawing . . . the cedar "needles" are always present (ever-green) and smell like cedar when you crush them.

http://www.scarborough.k12.me.us/high/projects/trees/awcedar.htm

If that middle picture of the green 'leaves' goes with the tree trunks, then I think FirefighterJake nailed it.

man, you'd get some really nice boards outa that one...I cringe at the thought of bucking it up

Wood Duck said:
If that middle picture of the green 'leaves' goes with the tree trunks, then I think FirefighterJake nailed it.

I didn't see that middle picture the first time around . . . yeah . . . cedar . . . I would stake a week's pay on it being cedar.

firefighterjake said:
Wood Duck said:

I didn't see that middle picture the first time around . . . yeah . . . cedar . . . I would stake a week's pay on it being cedar.

I added those 2 pictures the night after my first post, you nailed it.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.