Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Just going through some pictures and found this, just wondering is this a pine or cherry. Never did grab this off the hill.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0245.jpg
    100_0245.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 321
Bark, color of wood, shattered fibers at the break all tell me "pine." From the picture, can't tell if it's white or red pine.

Getting to be just the season for the stuff. Down here, at least.

Doesnt look like either but I'm no expert

CTYank said:
Bark, color of wood, shattered fibers at the break all tell me "pine." From the picture, can't tell if it's white or red pine.

Getting to be just the season for the stuff. Down here, at least.

CTYank thanks. We have White Pine on our property, we don't burn pine but once the snow goes I'll get it.

Zap

If White Pine and Black Cherry are the two choices, I'll say cherry. What happened to that tree?

Wood Duck said:
If White Pine and Black Cherry are the two choices, I'll say cherry. What happened to that tree?

Not sure Wood Duck, my guess is the wind.

Zap

Wood Duck said:
That's what I was wondering. Weird how it went opposite directions after it split.....maybe lighting?

tfdchief said:
Wood Duck said:
That's what I was wondering. Weird how it went opposite directions after it split.....maybe lighting?

Would the lightning leave any telling marks?

Zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
Wood Duck said:

Zap
In my experience, no, other than sometimes they look more like they exploded, as apposed to the wind just breaking them off. That's why I wondered if maybe it was lightning, since the tree went in opposite directions after it came apart. It would seem if the wind did it, that it would have all gone in one direction????

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
Wood Duck said:

Zap

Lightning will often, not always, but often leave a mark that looks like someone dug a 1/4" to 1/2" deep gouge into the tree from point of impact right to the ground. Sometimes it will blow long strips of bark off of the tree. Its kinda spooky when the strips of bark are still attached at the top of the tree and blowing in the breeze.

I'll see if I still have some pictures of a lightning struck oak I burned last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.