Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleevecc

Feb 15, 2012
Eastern Virginia
What tree are these from exactly? all 4 leave cam from the same tree, I believe it maybe red oak?

thank you

treeid.jpg

Some kind of Oak...

Agreed--some kind of red oak.

Note that a twig with buds often helps to confirm identity for any tree. With oaks acorns help, too.

I believe that the pointed tips are an indicator, some Oak leaves have rounded tips, but I can't remember what they indicate. :sick:

EDIT: It seems that white oak leaves have rounded tips and red oak has pointed.

Bristle or pointed tips indicate a "red" oak family which have open cell structure. Not all though have the "point"
at all phases of leaf stage. Water oak for example is a red oak and has rounded tips most of the time.
White oaks have Rounded lobes mostly and Never a bristle tip, the key identifying factor is the tyloses inside
the cell structure which is why whisky/burbon is adged in white oak barrels, as it wont leak!

To your question, i think thats a Southern red Oak. Q. Falcata.

Cherrybark oak is a coveted high value species that grows in bottom lands. Its used for veneer peelers. WERE talking huge money triple what regular oak brings. Yes it is a "red" oak.

A clue to what it is would be where it was growing and was it natural or planted?

clemsonfor said:
Cherrybark oak is a coveted high value species that grows in bottom lands. Its used for veneer peelers. WERE talking huge money triple what regular oak brings. Yes it is a "red" oak.

It is natural tree that got hit by lightning about 5 years ago, it is/was the biggest tree in prolly 10 square miles it fell I think last year or the year before. there is about a 12' truck still in the ground which is atleast 8' in diameter, it came up about 12 feet and beroke off at where it started branching, it is a humongous tree. Here are a couple pics of some pen blanks I got out of it. I will go and get some pics of the tree itself and post shortly, its gotta be atleast a 200 year old tree maybe

redoak-1-1.JPG

redoak-1-1.JPG

redoak-1-1.JPG

A clue to what it is would be where it was growing and was it natural or planted?

WOW! That's beautiful.....it would make a great inlay.

If its that size its easy 200!! Is this in a moist area, what we call a mesic or wet site? Not standing water swamp but the next tier up, maybe gets flooded once or twice a year type bottom land?

Cherrybark will get to be a huge tree its just not very common anymore as it was cut down most of the time years and years ago as its valuable and has been so. Im just a forester not a Wood worker so im not up on the type of grains and patterns like some may be. Also i dont deal in HW usually so im not as good on particular oak species etc, i can identify them thats not what i mean, i mean more like this would be a good wood for that etc.

I've never seen it milled before so I can't help you there.
You make wood pens?
There was a small wood pen company in Scarborough, ME that a buddy of mine worked at back in the 90's.
Their slogan was "Get a Woody"

My best guess - based a lot on the first set of leaves and the right hand leaf, is black oak. Cheers!

clemsonfor said:
If its that size its easy 200!! Is this in a moist area, what we call a mesic or wet site? Not standing water swamp but the next tier up, maybe gets flooded once or twice a year type bottom land?

Cherrybark will get to be a huge tree its just not very common anymore as it was cut down most of the time years and years ago as its valuable and has been so. Im just a forester not a Wood worker so im not up on the type of grains and patterns like some may be. Also i dont deal in HW usually so im not as good on particular oak species etc, i can identify them thats not what i mean, i mean more like this would be a good wood for that etc.

Yes I would say this tree is in a place exactly as you described, I dabble in wood working but lately I been trying to sell some wood blanks here and there, mostly white oak, cedar and sweet gum. then I ran across this and thought it was Red Oak, but after playing with it for a couple days I began to wonder and then got some of the dried leafs and tried to water them and get them to fold out so I could find out exactly what it is, if it is Cherrybark that would be awesome.

That bark doesn't look like cherry oak (of course, I thought the leaves didn't look right either- IIRC, cherry oak has deeper sinuses like standard red oak).
I'll add that those blanks look spalted, not standard fresh, which is a significant driver of cost (unless this is a very strange wood)

The bark looks more like black oak

Black oak:
quve2996.jpg

3288127083_20562fdc23_z.jpg

Eight feet in diameter? So, like 24 feet in circumference? Really? That's only a little less than the biggest Q. pagoda in VaTech's Big Tree database, and right up there with the very biggest Q. falcata. Damn!

Positive ID might be tricky. Until recently Q. pagoda was regarded as a variety of Q. falcata.

Adios Pantalones said:
That bark doesn't look like cherry oak (of course, I thought the leaves didn't look right either- IIRC, cherry oak has deeper sinuses like standard red oak).

The bark looks more like black oak

Black oak:
quve2996.jpg

3288127083_20562fdc23_z.jpg

Hrmm the 2 center leaves in the first post look similar to those, then the 2 leaves on each end look different. I have found conflicting leafs on different sites for the Cherrybark ( http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/qupa.html this is what I mean they look nothing like your post of black oak) and again the leafs in the first post are all from the same downed tree, so I admit I am a bit baffled and confused.

Brewmonster said:
Eight feet in diameter? So, like 24 feet in circumference? Really? That's only a little less than the biggest Q. pagoda in VaTech's Big Tree database, and right up there with the very biggest Q. falcata. Damn!

Positive ID might be tricky. Until recently Q. pagoda was regarded as a variety of Q. falcata.

LOL I might be exaggerating a bit I have not measured it, but it a huge tree, one of the biggest around these parts I have seen. hollow in the middle though which kind of sucks.

Oak leaves are extremely variable, even on the same tree. That said, the leaf pictured in Adios Pantaleones' post does not resemble any Black Oak (Q. velutina) I've ever seen. More like Blackjack (Q. marilandica).

Wow, Am I going to have to send a piece off for DNA testing or something? lol,, dang stubborn tree. anything I can do to help narrow this down some? I really need to know what tree it is in order to sell some blanks. I would really hate to put a pic of the tree and leaves in the ad and say its for sure somekind of Oak tree you figure it out. :) lol

Adios Pantalones said:
In the end, it doesn't matter. It's a red oak of sorts, will therefore require extra drying time, and it will burn very well.

I have all ready put some in the wood stove and it is the best burning wood I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.