Triaxle of logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKay

Jan 21, 2008
SW. Pennsylvania
I found locally a couple sources, from whom I can purchase a triaxle of logs. Going rates were $500 for maple / cherry or $600 for cherry / oak. Do you think it is worth it to go with the oak? Also about how many cords should I get from a load like this on average? I am in the process of getting a Jotul Rockland insert installed and want to get would lined up for the next couple years. Last year (2006 / 2007) I used 690 gals. of oil. This year i added a ton of insulation in the attic (R-19 to R-48) and weatherstripped all the windows so I think I will have used less, but it is getting really expensive.

Price seems reasonable but always check around. According to the Sweep's firewood chart white oak is 25.7mbtu/cord. Maple 24 red oak 24 and cherry 20. Ya makes your choice and pays your money. I'm tight so the difference would be to save $$. As far as cords I've seen 4 to 6 so ask, then you will know if they are honest. Good loggers can come very near on cords.

I was leaning toward the cherry / maple load, but the supplier is close so I will stop and look at the wood to see what type of maple it is. Does anyone have a guess to how much wood (split cords) I will be getting? I have never done this before.

I bought a "triaxle" basically a dump truck load of logs that was supposed to be 4 to 5 cords. Cut it up and split it over a weekend and ended up with, get this, 4.30 cords. Mine is doug fir and cost 400$. The nice thing about the triaxle load is that it can be dumped anywhere you want it easier than trying to get a big huge log truck turned around and unloaded in your yard. Have no worries about where he dumps it since you can buck a triaxle into rounds within a few hours. I'll need one more load like this pretty soon to be set up for one year ahead.

Attachments

• heaped.jpg
    heaped.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,477
interesting. I on the other hand am going with a full log truck load of 8' logs, which yields about 10-12 full cord. Its very nice to be able to pull up, unload usign the loader on the truck and have them stacked in a nice neat pile.

That's the regional difference. Our log trucks carry real logs the long way. 30 some feet long. You won't see anything carrying 8' logs on our roads or coming out of our woods unless it is a firewood scrounger. They leave those shorties in the woods.

yup, that is the difference. here in the East, all the mills etc still only handle 8' poles! not like In the west where they can handle any size

Adirondackwoodburner said:
interesting. I on the other hand am going with a full log truck load of 8' logs, which yields about 10-12 full cord. Its very nice to be able to pull up, unload usign the loader on the truck and have them stacked in a nice neat pile.

how do you get 10-12 the most i ever heard of was 6-8 how big is that truck and send him over to mass!!!! please post pics!!

Basically a full sized log truck wit ha "cherry picker" on it ie tractor trailer.

Basically a full sized log truck wit ha "cherry picker" on it ie tractor trailer.

you mean like a 30' er
around here they tell me (diff companies) 5-8 between all the ones i have called prices go from 350 to 800

i did get one guy all hdwood to 400 for 4csd green but when he found out how far away i was he went up 75 bucks so 475 4cords green cut to any length or 350 5cords i do the work....

I guess..

Here in Michigan you can get a tandem truck with the "cherry picker" of all oak (approx 15 cords), two year old cut, for $1600-$1800ish. That price keeps going up and up though.

It is something to see that much wood coming down the road.

woodconvert said:

Here in Michigan you can get a tandem truck with the "cherry picker" of all oak (approx 15 cords), two year old cut, for $1600-$1800ish. That price keeps going up and up though.

I live just south of you in Howell, could you send me that info you have on that. Id like to check inot it. Have you bought from that person before?

HH

The Tree trimmers around here are always looking for somw place to get rid of log size stuff. They will dump it for you for free.....This last storm 2 weeks ago knocked down hundreds of trees .

Hanko said:
woodconvert said:

I live just south of you in Howell, could you send me that info you have on that. Id like to check inot it. Have you bought from that person before?

HH

Pinkney/Hamburg?. I'm in Howell as we speak. I have bought wood from him before. The name of the company is Chris Muma Forest Products. 1154 W 1st St
Gladwin, MI , 48624-1017
Phone: 989-426-5916
FAX: 989-426-6290

You may have to verify that area code but that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope you have an accessible driveway and A LOT of room for him to stack it. It's really a massive pile of logs. The last load he brought me made a stack of about 8ft tall and approximately 40-50ft long.

I have 60 acres so room is no issue. Its way to soft right now as you know. Ill call him and maybe set something in june, thanks alot. you say your in howell?

Hanko said:
I have 60 acres so room is no issue. Its way to soft right now as you know. Ill call him and maybe set something in june, thanks alot. you say your in howell?

60 acres....you could scatter em' all over one log deep :p I'll tell ya, if you do end up purchasing a load from him you WILL become spoiled. It's so much easier cutting off a stack of logs than dumping a tree in the woods, limbing it, bucking it, loading and hauling. It's really a nice way to do your firewood.

How much do you burn a year?

Yes, i'm in Howell. Ats where I work.

wow, my 10-12 cord will cost me around $75ish/cord..that is mixed hardwoods to consist of hard maple, beeck, red oak cherry

wow, my 10-12 cord will cost me around $75ish/cord..that is mixed hardwoods to consist of hard maple, beeck, red oak cherry

Is that the already split price???. It's hard to compare the price of a cord of mixed maple/oak/cherry versus a cord of nothing but oak. In my stove, for instance, I burn maple, elm and some cherry in the spring and fall. A face cord of maple/elm/cherry doesn't last as long (ie burns quicker). It's a noticeable difference. So if I know I need 25 face cords of oak to get through a season, i'd probably have to have easily 30+ of mixed stuff.

woodconvert said:
Hanko said:

60 acres....you could scatter em' all over one log deep :p I'll tell ya, if you do end up purchasing a load from him you WILL become spoiled. It's so much easier cutting off a stack of logs than dumping a tree in the woods, limbing it, bucking it, loading and hauling. It's really a nice way to do your firewood.

How much do you burn a year?

Yes, i'm in Howell. Ats where I work.
I need approx 20 face cord, I heat my shop with dutchwest been thru about 7 face cord, and about 12 or so in the house with a jotul oslo. problem is my mooch son and brother also need about 12 each so all total close to 50 a year, which I have stockpiled at my farm, so Im looking for wood for fall of 2009. If you work in howell and live in fenton, stop by on your way home for a beer if ya want, Ill show you all the money Ive spent to save money, (thats a joke). Tw 5, conveyor, new stove and chimney, new saw, man Im savin money. Maybe by 2015 ILl break even. where do you work in howell

Attachments

• wood pile.JPG
    wood pile.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 816
No, thiose are 8' log length

If you work in howell and live in fenton, stop by on your way home for a beer if ya want, Ill show you all the money Ive spent to save money, (thats a joke). Tw 5, conveyor, new stove and chimney, new saw, man Im savin money. Maybe by 2015 ILl break even. where do you work in howell?

Yeah, the initial cost is substantial but it does pay off quick and if you take care of the equipment it should last you for years.

Where bouts' is your farm?.

Oh, and I work for an Engineering/manufacturing company on the east end of town. By the Meijers/Wal Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.