Triple wall pipe, can someone identify?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drhiii

Oct 15, 2006
I have two foot lengths of the follow pics from the roof line up. Installed approx 20 years ago. Before I purchased the home. There is no information printed on any of the metal anywhere. I've enclosed two images... can anyone tell me what brand this is? Aand where if possible to acquire either 24" or 48" lengths so I can extend it? It is a 6" interior pipe and approx 10" outer pipe (measures 9 3/4" actually). It just screws on quite easily. Just no marking anywhere as to the manufacturer.

tx

http://pix.giph.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=111748

http://pix.giph.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=111751

Definitely an air-cooled chimney, what was it hooked to? Some of the air-cooled stuff was made for use w/ prefab fireplaces, usually specific to a particular brand of FP, and is not suitable for use w/ a stove. Don't know if this might be one of those.

The other thing to consider is that at 20 years, you may be approaching the end of the useful service life - it may make more sense to replace with more modern pipe.

Gooserider

If you have access to any of that chimney in the attic, or somewhere else in the house, take a look, as it will most likely have a label on it if you can just get close enough to read it. Ours has sticker labels on it that disintegrated in the weather, the ones inside look like the day it was installed.

It looks very similar to the Duravent we have in our house, but I am not expert enough to ID the connections exactly. Ours would be the same vintage.

Good luck.

If you had taken a picture of the cap, that would help identify it.

Looks like Simpson Duravent Duraplus chimney. Flip it up on end and let us get a look at the cap. If I remember correctly the early versions of Duraplus were only listed for 1700 degrees not the 2100 required by modern day code. You can usually differentiate which is which because the 2100 degree stuff has a 1/2" layer of insulation wrapped around the inner pipe.

Thank you all for the replies. This at least helps with communicating with local people about this. I finally took those pics yesterday during a cleaning and the first place I wanted to come to was here. Most likely will replace it all... but still was curious about what it was. It's been performing dutifully for all these years, and one thing I can say... everyone around me is paying $300+ at the least for gas to heat their homes. This is the low end. I have 7 cords of wood ready to go, and will get about 3 more in the next couple of months. My gas bills are about $20, for a water heater. I don't mind that at all. Napoleon 1400 heating a 1908 Victorian where we range from mid 40s to -20s during much of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.