Trouble to start the fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yavne

Dec 23, 2019
Nova Scotia
Merry Christmas!

I have a question about starting fire. In most cases I can start the fire without any issue (open window in the room, works great), but sometimes all the smoke goes into the room, cannot start it for 5-10 minutes... Today was around 35F and was raining. Is it related to rain?
Another thing that was different today, I put softwood instead instead hardwood. I guess it's not related.
Any tips how to prevent it?

Thanks!

often, the dryness of the wood is the main factor in burning problems like these. I’m not sure one way or other if the low pressure of a stormy day may weaken draft. Not sure how involved you want to get but an inexpensive moisture meter may help you. Are you burning in a stove or open fireplace?
One thing that has assisted me with fire starting is using SuperCedar firestarters. Very popular on here and you use promo code “Hearth20”.

Reactions: Yavne
Sounds like sluggish/reverse draft on a cold start. Can you feel cool air coming down when you first open the door? If so you need to warm the flue first.

I tested this wood a few days ago, the moisture was around 20%-22%.
It's a stove.
Are you testing on a fresh split face of the wood?

Sounds like sluggish/reverse draft on a cold start. Can you feel cool air coming down when you first open the door? If so you need to warm the flue first.

Yes, usually I can feel the cool air, but I think (maybe I didn't notice) I didn't feel it today.
How can I warm the flue?

Yes, usually I can feel the cool air, but I think (maybe I didn't notice) I didn't feel it today.
How can I warm the flue?
I wonder if the top down fire starting method would help.

That moisture meter should be fine. This time of year, the reading can be artificially low if the wood is really cold. Bring in the wood overnight should warm it for a good accurate testing.

That moisture meter should be fine. This time of year, the reading can be artificially low if the wood is really cold. Bring in the wood overnight should warm it for a good accurate testing.
I just went to check the moisture level of the wood that I put in inside yesterday, it's between 19% and 21%. Last few days weren't so cold.

Perfect. It’s always good to rule out wet wood.

I just went to check the moisture level of the wood that I put in inside yesterday, it's between 19% and 21%. Last few days weren't so cold.
Is this the reading after resplitting the wood and testing on the freshly exposed face of wood? If yes, that is good.

To warm up the stove, try putting a big candle or two in it about 30 minutes before lighting. And also try top down lighting.

Reactions: ct_administrator
I wonder if the top down fire starting method would help.
I second the top down method. I'd never heard of the 'top down' method until a few weeks ago when I stumbled on an old thread here searching for something else. I have no idea why I'd never seen or heard of it before, but I love it and get a much better and controlled burn doing the top down method.

I've had this issue as well when I don't take to prepare the newspaper, kindling, and tinder. I just make sure I keep the door open even just a crack to help promote the updraft if it does happen. I've found in the past when the problem would start to present itself and I'd see too much smoke, I'd choke it by closing the door to prevent it from backdrafting into the room, but it just exacerbates the issue.

Reactions: Shrewboy and Yavne
The "Hearth20" promo code doesn't seem to work anymore.