True Cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
How many true cord in the bigger downed quaking aspen?

zap

Attachments

• 100_1039-1.jpg
    100_1039-1.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 707
2/3 rd

22" = 1. 11" does not = .5.

The e/w tree or the big uprooted stump that's more N/S?? E/W =.25cord.

Actually none of those downed trees look like our quaking aspen...... Is this trickery???

curber said:
Actually none of those downed trees look like our quaking aspen...... Is this trickery???

We burned two cord of quaking aspen this year for the shoulder season, I cut that just up the hill from this. I'll get a better picture later this week or on the weekend.

zap

zapny said:
curber said:

We burned two cord of quaking aspen this year for the shoulder season, I cut that just up the hill from this. I'll get a better picture later this week or on the weekend.

zap

Is it the E/w one that is long and strait? Just can't see any white on it. Are yours normally white? Pat

curber said:
zapny said:
curber said:

zap

Is it the E/w one that is long and strait? Just can't see any white on it. Are yours normally white? Pat

Yes, here is a picture of the quaking aspen just up the hill from the first picture.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1041.jpg
    100_1041.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 674
Ok Got the rite tree. Those look alot different than our quaking aspen. I can see it getting white towards the top now. Ours look more like the white one standing left of the arrows in your pic. Ours look like these. Pat

Attachments

• quaking-aspen-trees-1000653-sw.jpg
    quaking-aspen-trees-1000653-sw.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 652
Wow I mite be wrong at what I call Quaking Aspen but yours don't look anything like ours. I'm stumped now.... Pat

curber said:
Wow I mite be wrong at what I call Quaking Aspen but yours don't look anything like ours. I'm stumped now.... Pat

It's probably a poplar, I'll look for some leaves when I'm up there.

zap

Good possibility that the op's aspen is Big Tooth. Out east it is sometimes very difficult to tell without a leaf. But for some reason quaking aspen out west does look differant than back east, they are the same beast however!!

nrford said:
Good possibility that the op's aspen is Big Tooth. Out east it is sometimes very difficult to tell without a leaf. But for some reason quaking aspen out west does look differant than back east, they are the same beast however!!

Your right again nrford.

zap

nrford said:

Yep - was just about to post that it's likely big tooth aspen. Cheers!

Ours are very white. .5 cord Zap!! sorry to ruin your post.. Pat

curber said:
Ours are very white. .5 cord Zap!! sorry to ruin your post.. Pat

Not at all Pat, I actually found out what type of Aspen, the oldtimers just call it popple. I always remember the Quaking Aspen in the movie True Grit.

Zap

Less than half a cord of Bigtooth Aspen. Here (and Zapny isn't that far away so I am sure he has the same trees) we have both Bogtooth and Quaking Aspens. Bigtooth is a larger tree here more likely to grow in the middle of the forest, while Quaking Aspen is a smaller tree more likely to spring up along edges, roads, etc., but they're very similar and hard to tell apart sometimes without a leaf. Bigtooth Aspen is named for the large 'teeth' along the edges of the leaves - Quaking Aspen also has teeth but they're smaller..

ironpony said:
looks about to be a college cord to me..............

Did it stop raining yet?

zap

Looks like some nice clean work.

1.105 cord

I have a big tooth aspen about that same size that I can take, but I've let it sit for all the loads of Oak I've been getting.

Should I take a big tooth aspen? A worthy scrounge?

0.697 crapload. That's my final answer. %-P

zapny said:
How many true cord in the bigger downed quaking aspen?

zap

Stack it after cutting and then we'll measure the stack. Then I can tell you how much there is zap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.