Trunk bark versus limb bark......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Compare these pictures if you will. I believe them to be the same type of wood (what kind of wood is it by the way?) but I think I'm looking at 'trunk wood' versus 'limb wood' - which might show the difference between the two different parts of the same tree. Am I right?

Round 1 - picture 1
100_0167.jpg

Round 1 - picture 2
100_0168.jpg

Round 1 - picture 3
100_0169.jpg

Round 2 - picture 1
100_0173.jpg

Round 2 - picture 2
100_0172.jpg

Round 2 - picture 3
100_0174.jpg

So - are these from the same type of tree? Am I looking at 'trunk bark' versus 'limb bark'?

And the, the age old question: What kind of wood is this?

Looks like all wood is Silver Maple.

Soft Maple(Red more likely, than Silver)

Red is what I was thinking but it really doesn't matter all that much as I figured a Maple.

I was more intrigued on the differences in the bark between trunk versus limb. When you scrounge you never really know what you are getting! :)

By the way, my resident mole (or whatever they are) population LOVES the bark on the limbs but doesn't touch the trunk bark.... :( I had a fairly long conversation with one of them that just sat there looking at me every time I took another round out of the pile...:) They are kind of cute in a mother nature kind of way.

I agree it is soft maple (I think Silver more than Red) and I agree round 1 is the trunk or an older, larger limb than round 2. You can see the bark on round 2 starting to flake like the bark on round 1. Farther up the tree there will be smaller limbs with still smoother bark.

Shari, we have lots of that here; soft maple. They are beautiful in the fall as the leaves are really red. In the picture below just spot the red and you'll be seeing a soft maple.

Octoberwoods-1.jpg

I say it is Norway Maple, but surely a "soft" Maple. The younger bark on most trees is usually smoother than the older bark.

Flatbedford said:
I say it is Norway Maple, but surely a "soft" Maple. The younger bark on most trees is usually smoother than the older bark.

Definitely not norway.

nrford said:
Flatbedford said:

Definitely not norway.

OK. All the Maples look about the same to me.

Yeah, like I said above I really don't care what kind of tree it is but was thinking along the lines of some kind of maple. I got this wood mixed in with various other woods off CL and was just courious that when split they looked so similar yet the bark was so different. I'm learning!

We were at the recycling center the other day where we can pick up free wood. Hah! I i.d.'d some box elder (don't prefer that wood), some willow (nix on that) and some pine (well, we know all the variant ideas on that but I skipped it as there really wasn't much pine there to worry about anyway).

I'm just trying to learn the different visual clues on trees.

Identifying trees can be an interesting hobby that will help you save time and energy on the trees you want or don't want,pick your self up a tree book and start identifying trees in all the seasons.I have the Audubon's society version but there are others,perhaps you could start at the library and if you find one you like then you can purchase a copy for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.