twin metal flues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Hearth Supporter
Feb 25, 2007
Trying to finalize the Masonry heater going in the great room.
I also want to have a 2nd flue coming from the basement.
The question I have is about how to penertate the cathedral ceiling.

Roof is a 10/12 pitch, it will be penitrating about 1/2 way up (24' wide room, so 12' from wall to peak)

1) Should I frame a Chimney , or just let 2 flues stick out of the roof.
I was thinking of framing a Chimney chase about 5' high with a cricket, and capping it with a S.S. top pan that the 2 flues would penatrate.
2) do they make double cath ceiling boxes ? I have not seen any ?
3) this is on the back of the house, backing up to the wood, no one will ever see it.

Going all the way up with masonry would be to "over powering" for the great room.
attached is a picture of what I have in mind ?

Thanks for any idea's,
Nick

Attachments

• tinm_stvpipe[1].jpg
    tinm_stvpipe[1].jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 238
I was just searching to see if you could frame a metal chimney on the roof into a chase. I also want to frame out my metal chimney on the roof and the use something like SS on the top.

Since we are both looking for about the same thing, does anyone on here have any experience with this? Pictures would be great!

Thanks
Dave

Ah hem... I do.

I have a TempCast 2000 masonry heater on the main floor and a Harman TLC 2000 wood/coal metal stove in the basement. There is single wall steel pipe in the exposed area from the top of each to an insulated box with Class A insulated steel pipe for the main floor and roof penetrations. The basement stove chimney is visible, and part of, the main floor masonry unit with wood storage between the two as seen here:

https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/fireplaces/source/tilestove.html

I didn't do masonry chimneys because I wanted the heat output from single wall steel chimneys in the living areas. On the roof, a chase was made to house both chimneys, both Class A insulated steel inside the chase.

Now in my 6th heating season, everything works like a charm.

What masonry heater models are you two doing? New construction?

Aye,
Marty

...I have a question....my wood stove has a flue at the bottom front and another one just as the fire goes into the chiminey...does anyone know what the flue on the top does and if so how would it work in conjunction with the flue down below ?

Marty,
Nice looking setup!

I am looking hard at the tempcast core, love watching the secondary burn in the top oven.
I talked to Albie of Maine Heat, I have not ruled out having him build a custom core.
Sadly I built my house 5 years ago before I read up on MH's.

I too want 2 flues 1 for the MH on the main level and one for a wood heater in the basement.
After having the MH do you find tending the wood stove in the basement a pain ?
If you only fire the MH on the main level does the basement get cold ?

Thanks,
Nick

william1 said:
...I have a question....my wood stove has a flue at the bottom front and another one just as the fire goes into the chiminey...does anyone know what the flue on the top does and if so how would it work in conjunction with the flue down below ?

William, I suggest you start your own new thread topic in the Hearth Room, rather than tacking on ("hijacking") this thread...gets confusing when multiple topics are being discussed in a single thread. Also, if you could...in your new thread...describe the stove and the installation and best of all, if possible, attach a photo, that would really help out a lot. Welcome to the forums! Rick

OK...back to Nick's thread.

....that's because your site was not navitgatable and that was the only way in.....maybe it was the weather or something.....I'll google it, I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.....

Status
Not open for further replies.