Tyvek as a stack cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NortheastAl

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2012
Putnam, NY
Has anyone tried using Tyvek to cover their stacks? It is waterproof, yet breathes so moisture does not accumulate beneath it. Seems like a reasonable alternative to a tarp as it promotes drying.

Has anyone tried using Tyvek to cover their stacks? It is waterproof, yet breathes so moisture does not accumulate beneath it. Seems like a reasonable alternative to a tarp as it promotes drying.
Al, Tyvek was never meant to be a stand-alone barrier, especially on top-exposed surfaces. It is also prone to ripping/tearing when abraded against sharper objects (like a jagged edge of a split), I'd probably not use of. Its also pricy, too (especially the original Dupont brand). Most "off" brands of housewrap are basically cheaply made tarp material. They don't hold off well in the weather by themselves.

That said, the reclaimed rubber roofing I use has been amazing as a top cover. It has held up great (even in hurricane Sandy winds) and is reusable for many, many years. Check around for a salvage dealer or industrial roofing company, I'm betting that you can get it for next to nothing like I did!

Thanks for the info, Scott. I'm trying to find a solution to the problem of not being able to find tin or galvanized roofing panels in NY. I can find plastic corrugated, but I use that on my deck for my easy access stack, and it is always slipping and sliding around.

Even the six mil black plastic from HD that I use isn't cheap. But......they have 20' wide rolls. :)

I agree with velvetfoot, I use 6mil black plastic(5ft. wide) down one side up and over and down the other side. Staple it with a hammerstapler. Not cheap any more but has held up for at least four or five years without ripping even in the sun.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Thanks, guys. Checked out Home Depot and I can get 100' of 6' wide for about $33. Might be my best bet.

Buy some 12 X 12 tarps.
Cut them in half, roll & staple (roofing nail) the edges to a 12' - 2 X 4. (or a 2 X 2 )
End up being about 5' wide.
They roll up & store easy enough & are easy on & off.
Have some weight to help keep them on & give you a solid connection for bungees down to the pallets on the ground.

If I did that now I might lay pallets on top of the stack , then put the tarps on. Better air circ. ;)

I have tyvek on my stacks, works great, no tears wood is dry.

If cheap would last as long as black plastic from HD or most likely longer

Dave, I like that idea as I have some heavy duty tarps. One is sitting over two separated cord, making a tunnel type walkway between, and it falls down about 18" on each side. I didn't like that it came down so far, and I do like your way of doing it with the 2x4s. Laying pallets on top was one of the ideas I had too. Read about it somewhere and it seemed to make sense.

Augie, now your post completely throws me off the other methods and has me thinking about the Tyvek again. I know the stuff is strong, but it only has something like 260 days open UV protection. The stuff is crazy expensive, and I wouldn't want to buy such a large roll. They do sell it by the foot and in smaller pieces on ebay, but I would like to get more than one season out of them. How long have yours lasted?

The easiest solution is probably Dave's because I already have the tarps, and 2x4s are cheap enough. I have my wood stacked in separate piles on 2 pallets each. Each 2 pallets holds exactly a cord. Some I have long the property border and some on metal racks of 8' and 12' each, single row. I like the idea of pallets on top of the wood that is on 2 pallets because of the air space between the wood and tarp. Under the tarp now, you can feel it is holding moisture in on the top for layers or so of wood. This is why I wanted to use the Tyvek, originally. Having something that can keep out water and breathe makes a lot of sense. If I had more than this slightly larger than 1/4 acre lot, with all its slopes, then I wouldn't worry as I'd be 3-4 years ahead, at least.

Any other suggestions are gratfully welcomed. I hope this also helps someone else who is as OCD on this as I am. Never thought I get this intense on wood.

I hope this also helps someone else who is as OCD on this as I am. Never thought I get this intense on wood.

Me neither. But it pays off in big dividends, less creosote & more heat
Just stack it so the top row is a 1/2 a bubble off, so the water runs off. LOL :)

Buy some 12 X 12 tarps.
Cut them in half, roll & staple (roofing nail) the edges to a 12' - 2 X 4. (or a 2 X 2 )
End up being about 5' wide.
They roll up & store easy enough & are easy on & off.
Have some weight to help keep them on & give you a solid connection for bungees down to the pallets on the ground.

If I did that now I might lay pallets on top of the stack , then put the tarps on. Better air circ. ;)
I like this idea ,and I'm lookin at a couple of used pool covers , a 15' x 30' and a 16 × 40 oval , $20 each

Me neither. But it pays off in big dividends, less creosote & more heat
Just stack it so the top row is a 1/2 a bubble off, so the water runs off. LOL :)
It's pouring out there as I write this. Glad I got the cover on at least two stacks. We will know if I pitched it enough pretty quick.

I like this idea ,and I'm lookin at a couple of used pool covers , a 15' x 30' and a 16 × 40 oval , $20 each
Good price on the used covers. Just make sure they are still waterproof. They have a way of going to chit all at once. You just reminded me I have an old pool cover. Going to cut that up and use it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.