Uneven heat from left side of harmon accentra pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Jan 21, 2013
I have much less heat out of the left side of my harmon pellet stove.

I know the left side vent makes a 90 degree turn and must have some kind of clog in it. I have used the wire brush and can easily go around the bend. I have made a small 3/4 inch vacume tube to vacume all around the curve. I have sent an flexible rigid wire around the bend that electricians use for snaking wires. I have used a plumbers declogger as well.
BTW i clean my stove out every week.

I got desperate and called in a tech who spent 1 1/2 hours cleaning everything. 225.00 later, still the same problem.

Also when I do clean that vent it appears to be moist in the area.

HELP!!!!!

Glad to know I'm not alone. Mine does the same. I had a blockage and cleaned out the bend, there was moisture in mine too. but after a full cleaning i experience the uneven heat as well. Called Harmon but little to no help from them and the local dealer indicated that we have cleaned all parts that can be cleaned. I wonder if there is an internal fan that may not be working correctly.

When you send the brush through the left tube ( looking at the stove) shine a light in the right tube and see if you can see it. it may be blocked at the end. hope you find the problem let us know if you do thanks

When you send the brush through the left tube ( looking at the stove) shine a light in the right tube and see if you can see it. it may be blocked at the end. hope you find the problem let us know if you do thanks
Its a hard angle to see down there. Assuming it is clogged down there how do i unclog it.. I have tried everything.

150 psi of air through the exhaust port will clear it out
Is the exhaust port the square hole on the bottom left?

Also why is it wet in the left hole when I try to clean it with the brush, which by the way i get all the way in?

IF you push the brush in the left tube it goes in about 12-14 inches then makes a 90 then another 2 feet. with the heat exchangers out and the ash pan out if you get low with a flash light and look in the right tube you should see the brush up against the right side of the stove (all as you are facing the stove) if you cant get the brush around the 90 try to attach a metal hanger to the brush to add some strength to the brush and PUSH hard. If that does not work take a 3/8 metal electrical snake and shove that in all the way again you need to see it in the right tube when you get it all the way in then run it back and forth a bunch of times then go back to the stove brush and do the same thing. more then likely it is clogged

I have gotten around the bend and have used an electrical snake several times as you have suggested and it has also got around the bend, but still the same problem. BTW thanks for helping me out with suggestions, i also thought i was alone

Can you see the snake if you look down the RIGHT tube

You should be able to insert the brush all the way except for maybe six inches. I have an accentra insert, so I'm not sure if the freestanding is any different, but you can pull out the distribution fan and then can see if the brush is making it all the way to the opening.

I did not look when i did it, this was yesterday and now the stove is on. I did push it in all the way and it did sound like it was hitting metal. Assuming it did go through all the way, what would be the next step?

You should be able to insert the brush all the way except for maybe six inches. I have an accentra insert, so I'm not sure if the freestanding is any different, but you can pull out the distribution fan and then can see if the brush is making it all the way to the opening.
Is that fan in the back of the unit?

I thought you had an insert do you have the freestanding unit ?

Is that fan in the back of the unit?

yes, the one with the 3 thumb screws.

There's also an access port on the other side of the distribution box. You can open that up and see if the brush is making it all the way.

mine is an insert
The brush will go all the way send the brush in the right tube around the 90 then push it as far as you can. with the ash pan out and the heat exchange removed shine a light down the right tube you will see the brush if it went all the way i always check to make sure that i am going all the way

In my insert, I can't see down the right tube due to the plate with the holes in it that hold the baffle. But I can open up the right side port to the distribution housing to see the brush.

In my insert, I can't see down the right tube due to the plate with the holes in it that hold the baffle. But I can open up the right side port to the distribution housing to see the brush.

Movemaine I had my stove installed in 2011 is your stove an older model? I can see straight down the right tube and see the brush i put in the left tube. I need to remove the heat shield but its clear after that I have to get low to the floor and look in

Me too. First winter with my Accentra insert (bought used on Craigslist). I have the same imbalance between left and right sides. I clean twice a week, and I always make sure that I see the end of the brush in the right exhaust port.

By the way, I cut a section of 1/2" copper tube and i fed the brush handle thru it. It helps me get around that turn without bending up the handle too much. Really helps!

Glad to know I'm not alone. Mine does the same. I had a blockage and cleaned out the bend, there was moisture in mine too. but after a full cleaning i experience the uneven heat as well. Called Harmon but little to no help from them and the local dealer indicated that we have cleaned all parts that can be cleaned. I wonder if there is an internal fan that may not be working correctly.

Movemaine I had my stove installed in 2011 is your stove an older model? I can see straight down the right tube and see the brush i put in the left tube. I need to remove the heat shield but its clear after that I have to get low to the floor and look in

Mine was installed in 2011, but I guess it could be a 2010 model - and maybe I'm not getting low enough, but I don't think I could see down the tube due to the angle and the strip of metal with the square holes that holds the bottom part of the baffle.

Mine was installed in 2011, but I guess it could be a 2010 model - and maybe I'm not getting low enough, but I don't think I could see down the tube due to the angle and the strip of metal with the square holes that holds the bottom part of the baffle.
I just asked the question about the year of my stove and was told that behind the right door on the name plate it will tell you the date it was manufactured. Mine was built in july 2011. As far as looking down the tube you need to get really low and look under the bar where the ash pan is and you should be able to see

Status
Not open for further replies.