Unexpected Chimney Repairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarc

Oct 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I just finished my first burning season with my new Quadrafire Voyageur Grand. I must say I love it and can't wait for the next fall. But winter is definitely over for us in the South.

So I had a local chimney sweep company come out to sweep and inspect after my first season with the insert and they came back with two issues. First they said the chimney needs pointed to seal up some cracks in the chimney crown. They also said it needs an exterior cleaning to kill fungus (black areas near the top of the chimney) and then re-seal.

A bit of research has me convinced it's not hard to do. I've done pointing before and I took some bleach and a brush to a lower section of the black stains (fungus) and it came off with a bit of scrubbing. So I figure hitting it with some water seal shouldn't be a problem. My only problem is getting a ladder that's tall enough.

Is it really that simple or am I missing something? Needless to say I'm in sticker shock after getting a quote that was well over $1k. Any thoughts from the good folks here?

It's not hard, if you're a hands on guy then you can do it. Do you have any pictures of the crown? We can walk you through the needed repairs.

The rest is just scrub and seal, like you figured out.
Like you noticed, the access is probably the hard part.
People pay me full carpentry rates to wash their roofs, there's no magic to it, no real skill needed, but the staging, ladders, pressure washer with a long hose come in handy.

Post some pics. Sealing is usually not needed at all. If the masonry is in good shape and the chimney is constructed properly there is almost never any reason to seal a chimney.

Reactions: webby3650
i had a guy come out the other day to give me a price on putting in a new liner and he tried to tell me the same thing about the mold and mildew at the top of the chimney. he didnt get up and look at the top of the chimney, but he did quote me a price of $2500 just to drop in the new liner. he would charge me another $350 to install the new insert if i didnt buy one from him. i couldn't believe how much he quoted me. especially since i priced the liner he told me he was going to use and the kit was around $900. that's quite a large mark up in my opinion. not sure if this is usual or not.

i had a guy come out the other day to give me a price on putting in a new liner and he tried to tell me the same thing about the mold and mildew at the top of the chimney. he didnt get up and look at the top of the chimney, but he did quote me a price of $2500 just to drop in the new liner.
Without allot more info we have no way to know if that is a fair price or not. Depending on the height and other circumstances an insert liner install from us could easily be that much. But if he is using a light wall liner uninsulated with no block off plate that price is way high.

he uses the pre-insulated liner. 25'. it is an exterior masonry chimney w/ original flue is 10" x 14". no block off plate. he said that wasnt necessary w/ an insert (didnt understand that). no other abnormal circumstances that im aware of. just have to remove the damper and hook up. i understand you have to make a living. i can accept double the cost of materials, but no almost triple

My only problem is getting a ladder that's tall enough.

after getting the quote on mine, i priced renting a lift and that will only run about $250 a day. still way cheaper to do it yourself

he uses the pre-insulated liner. 25'. it is an exterior masonry chimney w/ original flue is 10" x 14". no block off plate. he said that wasnt necessary w/ an insert (didnt understand that). no other abnormal circumstances that im aware of. just have to remove the damper and hook up. i understand you have to make a living. i can accept double the cost of materials, but no almost triple
Ok but what preinsulated liner? There is allot of variation there. But from what you say his price does sound on the high side.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
i believe it was the champion liner. i kind of lost the ability to concentrate after he gave me the quote

I believe the champion liners are olympia products that are relabeled for sale through one of the online retailers which if so I know they have different grades of interior liners in their preinsulated line. One is a heavier liner and costs more than the other. But still with just a simple cut out the damper and with no block off plate or anything it sounds a little high even if it is the better liner. But I am not there to look at it so I cant be sure,

Status
Not open for further replies.