1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Up for Debate - Pellet Stove Reviews by a Repairman

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by mischinski, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mischinski

mischinski Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    This might generate some interesting discussions. I found this site when looking for a replacement heat pump for my elderly mother in NC as well as for me as my oil furnace may be in need of replacement and I wanted to find the best brands.

He doesn't rate many stoves very high, some I never even heard of. My Breckwell is rated <1 of course.

http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/pellet-stove-ratings.html

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. festerw

festerw Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Looks to me like they don't actually have any experience with most of the brands and are basically rating them by what kind of warranty they offer.
  3. ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug Member

Loc:
    Maine
    It looks like he gave all but 3-4 brands <1. As Fester mentioned, it looks like the reviews are pretty vague, and rated mostly on warranty. Interesting site though.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    They haven't a clue.
  5. chud

chud New Member

Loc:
    Central/Southern maine
    I agree, vague. We have a Harman and seems weird to me that it would be rated <1.
  6. FordMastertech

FordMastertech Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington CT
    Looks like the only number that worked on their keyboard was 1. A lot of good stoves got nuked. :lol:
  7. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Quite useless since I found his credibility lacking when he writes Englander stoves don`t have a good warranty.
    Their warranty simply isn`t the same as stove shop brands for obvious reasons.
    He should have explained how the Englanders warranty works instead of leaving readers with a blanket opinion.
  8. Idahokid

Idahokid Member

Loc:
    coeur d'alene, Idaho
    It was a waste of time to read.At least the 1 key worked.
  9. DMZX

DMZX Member

Loc:
    NE. Oregon
    I got the feeling the ratings were based strictly on information gleaned from company websites, not actual experience or user reviews. If the website was weak, the stove gets a <1* rating. Uhmm....
  10. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Oregon
    Sort of a waste of time me thinks.

I have seen a lot of Pellet stoves in the 20 years I have been around them, and I would not stoop to giving any of the brands a >1 OMG I have seen some pretty junky stuff but they rated at least a <2

I did not see any of the brands I am used to seeing so ???????????/ again a waste of time.

Most Pellet stoves use similar components.

Back in the dark ages of Pellet stoves, the manufactures bought pretty much off the shelf technology to build their stoves.

Controls were all designed using industrial quality timers and the bulk of the controls were done inhouse.

The fan motors and such, again, off the shelf stuff.

Not until the mid 90s did companies really go after the proprietary type controls and such.

IMHO most stoves of the past 10 years are pretty good. Some have had electronics issues but overall most work fairly well.

There have been some models that were not easy to clean and to use a current term, were not user friendly.

To base an article on the warranty statement is pretty lame.

Cheeezy two bit Blog me thinks.

Snowy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.