Up to code/safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gatedreamer

Nov 27, 2015
Detroit
Hello,
I am new to this forum and have a question. I am in the process of purchasing a home. The seller has a wood burning stove installed in the basement that he installed without pulling permits or having inspection. The stove vents through a drywall wall into another room that potentially will be converted into a finished bedroom, and then goes through the floor and into the chimney. There are 2 separate pipes exiting the chimney and there appears to be one for the first floor fireplace and one for the basement wood burner. (enclosed pictures) Should I be concerned about the way he has set this up? Should I have it inspected? If so, by whom? I had a home inspection done and the inspector did not think that there was cause for concern however he did not go on the roof and inspect the chimney. On a related note, any suggestions on what should be done with this cracked fireplace? (see photo)
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. Thanks
IMG_2533.jpg IMG_2534.jpg IMG_2535.jpg IMG_2537.jpg IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2530.jpg

It's been used and the house hasn't gone on fire. It's stood the test of time. But seriously, is that single wall going through the wall? Yea, if you not familiar with wood stoves, have a chimney sweep inspect and clean it.

i'm not a professional but that horizontal run through the wall just doesn't look kosher to me. i'd definitely have a sweep come in and look at it.

That stove pipe setup is not safe. That's double wall stove pipe and it's not permitted to pass through a wall, even if it's non combustible. The class A chimney should start at the wall, pass through it, and then Tee.
The crack in that fireplace isn't a real concern. Home inspectors always call that out. The manufacturer and code allow a crack up 1/8", so if you can stick a nickel in it then it should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.