Update on my midroom raised hearth project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike K

Dec 26, 2014
Michigan
Hey gang ..thought I'd put up a pic and fill ya in on my raised hearth project.
I decided not to go with the Englander wood stove, but to go with the new Englander Madison ember protection only stove, which freed up some requirements for the hearth I'm building. I still used micore and durock and beefed it up with plywood, etc.
I remembered I had some old galvy around and decided to wrap the hearth with it. I also cut longways a strip to use for the edging of the upper hearth shelf, and then painted an aged bronze finish to it ...which somewhat matches the storage compartment handle on the bottom base. The storage compartment is all-sided, heavy-gauge aluminum so you can throw a hot poker in there and not be too concerned.
On the galvy I removed all the galvanized finish so we're not getting poisioned as we get warm.
The top is finished, and the base area of the hearth I still need to set tile, grout, etc. I also have rope lights that are going to be hidden under the lip of the top shelf and light up the whole bottom base (plus the compartment door). I'll put up finished photo's in a couple weeks ...for now I have to rest a couple bad vertebraes.
Any questions or any input, fire away.
Chow!

uploadfromtaptalk1428434947595.jpg

Reactions: sequoia
Looks good you would not have had to worry about the galvanizing there it will not get hot enough to cause a problem

Right, that's what I was thinking, but it was easy enough to knock off. :)
I doubt you got it all off it is really hard t remove it but like i said not an issue

looks good. I think you should paint the rest of the galvy that aged bronze to match.

Reactions: NHcpa
It would all be to dark then, with zero contrast.
The aged bronze is actually lighter compared to the tiles and that would provide your contrast to the darker colored tiles. It would look more refined as the shiny galvy makes it look a little out of place. But of course this is just my opinion.

I agree with wisneaky but i think it looks fine the way it is to but if it was mine i would paint it

A mahogany enameled or rich brown stove would look deadly on that perch. You're making good progress. I like they way it is starting to come together. Looking forward to seeing the final product with a nice stove on it.

Tx peeps. It's pretty dark towards the center of the house ...the galvy actually softens the whole thing, which is needed.

Given that you will be looking at the back of the stove a lot you may want to pick out a stove that heats well and looks clean on its backside. The galvanized will look more finished once the bottom tiling is done. I like the look.

Well, there always is Stove Brite Honey Glo Brown paint ...

Reactions: Mike K

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 144
Really ...I'll look that up.
Right now I'm wiring up a ceiling fan remote I had lying around to the blower ...no way should a guy have to get up out of his recliner to operate the stove blower ...pathetic lol

Paint it or wood trim to match the floor... With a stove on top, you could tie it out with a flat black enamel as well. Still picturing and liking the bronze color as suggested earlier. Whatever, nice job and enjoy!

Tx guy. No, the galvy's staying as is ..I'm redoing our kitchen here soon, and am going to galvy our kitchen island on one side, so it'll all tie in.

You just peaked my wifes interest w/ the paint reference. Is it an enamel?
It is the same stove paint as your stove just in a different color. BrotherBart's 30NC is painted with this color. The look varies a lot depending on the light. This isn't the best pic for color due to the camera flash.

Attachments

• BrotherBart 30 first fire.jpg
    BrotherBart 30 first fire.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I just checked out the stove bright paint at Amazon ..they actually have a few contenders ..I like that Honeyglo Brown, the Metallic Brown, Mahogany and that Metallic Blue ...which almost looks like a Gunmetal Blue. I may just have to pick up a can. Same with the Copper, it looks orange in the photo's. If it's a good looking copper, I would most likely go that route.
Tx for the heads up begrren.

I used stove bright copper on the iron fire brick backing to perk it up a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 157
Hey gang ..thought I'd put up a pic and fill ya in on my raised hearth project.

I also have rope lights that are going to be hidden under the lip of the top shelf and light up the whole bottom base (plus the compartment door).
Very nice - talk about pimp your hearth out..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked out the stove bright paint at Amazon ..they actually have a few contenders ..I like that Honeyglo Brown, the Metallic Brown, Mahogany and that Metallic Blue ...which almost looks like a Gunmetal Blue. I may just have to pick up a can. Same with the Copper, it looks orange in the photo's. If it's a good looking copper, I would most likely go that route.
Tx for the heads up begrren.
The color will vary depending on the light. I would err on the understated side of color or you may be repainting.

Status
Not open for further replies.