Update with specs: New Athens...Looks pretty good!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
Picked up 2 bags to try.(Free from local Dealer)
After 8 hrs., ash looks similar to New England Pellets. Gray to Dark Gray and "Fluffy"
I may be able to get these for $217/ton.
Will post again after we go through the 2 bags this weekend.
Does look promising!
Sure would like to keep the money in Maine.
Talked to a friend of the Family that owns the Athens plant.
They have done a lot of work to fix the product.
I for one am going to give them a second chance!!

Note: We burned 4 tons of the "Old" Athens 2008-2009 and these are definetly better

I could post pictures of New Athens vs New England Pellets

Good to hear. I burned 1 ton this winter, probably more this next year. Definitely preferred them to the Corinth. Wait and see what's available, I guess.

we sold some of both athens and corinth this last yr... I actually found the athens to operate better: burned a lot of them thru the VF170 in the warehouese.. it'd go a week running on Hi-Lo w/ out any real attention.

summit said:
we sold some of both athens and corinth this last yr... I actually found the athens to operate better: burned a lot of them thru the VF170 in the warehouese.. it'd go a week running on Hi-Lo w/ out any real attention.
So how would you price them per ton to make them competitive?

you shouldn't have to sell them retail for more than 240... If you are a customer being asked to pay 250+ somewhere, you could probably find 'em cheaper somewhere else right now.

summit said:
you shouldn't have to sell them retail for more than 240... If you are a customer being asked to pay 250+ somewhere, you could probably find 'em cheaper somewhere else right now.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant "how should the Corinth & the Athens be priced"? $200C vs $A or what? Just asking for your opinion. Thanks.

Dealer in my area is selling Athens for $239, 1/4 mile from me a plumbing outfit $244.

50 out now so stove is cooling down for cleaning.
Impressions with limited burning 1.5 bags:
*Amount of ash is about the same or less than New England Pellets
*No heavy clunkers like the "old" Athens produced
*Heat output seems decent although 28 is not the best temp for testing
*Burned from 11 PM to 8 AM before cleaning burn pot. (Could have gone for 3-4 more hrs)

Will check price/availability again and may pickup 4 tons for 2010-2011
SPECS:

Attachments

• athens specs.bmp
    239.3 KB · Views: 317
hopefully the quality is sustainable......maybe they will come out with new testing data?

bump, Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.