Updating pellet stove control board in a Whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The whitfields are older and the control boards are very pricey. I have a stove that needs one, auger light goes on dim and auger does not turn.

I just called Newark and they do have the exact 12 pin Molex connector with the 4.2 mm spacing between the prongs AND the D or iditot proofing in the same fashion for connection to many of the newer digital control boards like the Saranac I have!
http://www.newark.com/molex/39-01-2120/plug-socket-housing-receptacle/dp/56H7727?Ntt=56h7727

See 3D image also same as screen shot below
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1023721.pdf

This Whitefield is approx the same size as the Saranac and it might just work?

Newark is shipping it out
Part # for the molex plug is 56H7727
Part # for the 12 pins for 18 guage wire is 85C3023

Attachments

• MolexConnector3D.jpg
    MolexConnector3D.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 253
In this case it is acceptable

Hello

Ok, here is the plug that I ordered and the new panel wiring diagram.
Since the BTU input is the same and the board is programmed for a 1 RPM auger it should work.
There is no ignitor in the stove but there is a dummy hole that is covered and a hole in the burn pot. So an ignitor can certainly be added to this Whitfield Plus Free Standing unit!

As you can see the tricky part of getting the exact molex connector is all the D shaped plastic connector holes so it only plugs in one way! A little overkill where IMO one or two would do!

See pics - Click to Enlarge

Attachments

• UpgradePanelPlugSC.JPG
    UpgradePanelPlugSC.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 397
  • MolexWireDiagramForUpgradeControlPanel.jpg
    MolexWireDiagramForUpgradeControlPanel.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 498
Hello

Well, I went over the Pinout on the connector to assure the right components will be connected to the right pins. As I was going over the Whitefield pinout I found that the vacuum switch and snap discs were inline and did not go back to the control board. Also there was no polarity in the whitfield wiring harness and the grounding was not up to today's standard. So I recommended to the customer that we go with a new wiring harness for $65. He said he would rather go with a new Whitfield board. So I guess we will go with that.

I will just have to buy my own Whitfield to update. :)

Attachments

• UpgradedBoardPinoutsc.jpg
    UpgradedBoardPinoutsc.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 486
Energy Parts Plus, get a commercial account, easier than dealing with Lennox and better pricing too. FYI, all St. Croix stoves use the same molex and wiring harness, if you update with newer control board and change the auger motor to 2 RPM then you are all set. Have Frankenstoved many Saranac's with the newest St. Croix board plug and play

A little overkill where IMO one or two would do!
They make versions of that connector with various combinations of square and D shaped pin housings. That protects from plugging into the wrong place when more than one pair is used in a design.

Status
Not open for further replies.