Upland 17, thimble question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gillfinn

Apr 27, 2023
Northfield Ma.
Hello, I'm doing a garage install and I have an Upland 17 and I'm wondering what type of thimble would be best for my situation? It seems to be pretty straight forward, through the plywood siding with vinyl on the exterior. I have J-channel to finish off the exterior, it just seems there are more choices with 6" pieces vs 5" which is what I'm working with, does it make sense to increase from 5-6"?. Also, I'd like to get as close to the wall as possible and plan to use backer board with corrugated metal to reflect heat back into the room. Is 12" distance doable? Thanks very much for the help.

thumbnail_20230427_083826.jpg thumbnail_20230427_105905.jpg

Hello, I'm doing a garage install and I have an Upland 17 and I'm wondering what type of thimble would be best for my situation? It seems to be pretty straight forward, through the plywood siding with vinyl on the exterior. I have J-channel to finish off the exterior, it just seems there are more choices with 6" pieces vs 5" which is what I'm working with, does it make sense to increase from 5-6"?. Also, I'd like to get as close to the wall as possible and plan to use backer board with corrugated metal to reflect heat back into the room. Is 12" distance doable? Thanks very much for the help.

View attachment 312307 View attachment 312308
It is against code to install a woodstove in a garage in the USA. That being said if you ignore that code you will want to use 6" class A chimney and the wall pass through for that system

Thank you, I'll burn the codes along with my firewood, lol, thanks a lot. Codes change like the weather here in Mass.
This code hasn't changed since it was written in the 80s. The danger is if anything happens insurance probably won't cover it.

And make sure that stand is anchored to the floor very well and the stove anchored to it.

View attachment 312307 View attachment 312308
The cement board does nothing for reducing clearance. The heat shield requires 1 inch airspace behind it, mounted on non-combustible spacers. The shield must have 1 inch opening at bottom and be open at top. Clearance is measured to wall studs in the case of cement board covering, not the shield.

The heated air behind it rises up and out reducing the clearance of a unlisted stove that requires 36 inches down to a minimum of 12 inches. See this article for more information; https://www.hearth.com/articles/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer/

Is this garage attached to a insured residence? Use in a unattached garage is at your own risk, where many still do, but not recommended in a attached garage affecting the insured home. That’s not only a code, it is NFPA Standard that codes adopt, so it is the nationwide standard, not subject to change. States adopt building codes, which are adopted from NFPA. Codes can make the Standard more strict, but not take anything from it. That is the minimum requirement that insurance companies must adhere to.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, the cement board will cover the studs, then I'm using non-flammable spacers with corrugated metal vented top and bottom. I have the same system in the house and it works perfectly. The garage is connected to the insured home via breezeway and I do plan on anchoring the stove stand to the foundation plate in the garage. I fully understand the risk and will do everything to be safe with the installation.