The upstairs of my new house has a fireplace. It's got glass doors in a brass (?) face plate and the previous owners used it to heat the upstairs with a combination of wood, junk mail, and paper plates (classy). From reading this form for the last few weeks, it seems as though a fireplace sucks the heat out of a house whether it's in operation or not. I don't know whether that's true. My wife is concerned that our kids' upstairs bedrooms will be cold. I was thinking about installing a Century 45 in that fireplace to block heat loss and to provide heat to the upstairs. My family resides upstairs for the most part, and my wife and I sleep downstairs where the main wood stove is located. My understanding is that if I install an insert upstairs that I'll have to run a new stove pipe from the upstairs stove up the chimney. I'm not opposed to replacing the Orley in the basement with a more modern and efficient stove insert if it makes financial sense, but for right now I need to live with what I have there. Should I install an insert upstairs with a new pipe, install an insert upstairs and upgrade the existing pipe from the basement with new insulated pipe? I'm new to all this and don't know. Thank you.