1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Us Stove 6041 exhaust pipe length question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by fastmike22, Jan 17, 2013.

1. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I have a 6041 pellet stove im putting in my basement. The way I have to hook up the exhaust its going to take more pipe then recomended. Has anyone ever done this? Here is a drawling of my setup. What are your thoughts

Attached Files:

• IMG.pdf
      File size:
      154.2 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Hate to tell you this, but that is going to be a nightmare. Your EVL is at least 26......WAY above acceptable limits even if you used 4" pipe. Ash will be collecting in that long horizontal section almost immediately, and eventually it will choke the stove.

Why are you putting the stove in the basement?
  3. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    For additional heat. I bought the stove last year and wasnt very thrilled with it. I ended up refinishing and insulating my basement and was hoping it would work better.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Was it upstairs before?

If you meant to just heat the basement after finishing it, that might have been OK, but that exhaust is going to make the stove run SOOOO much worse than it was before.

You'd be better off selling it on CL or something like that and buying a better quality stove.
  5. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I always had it in the basement. I just want to run it on the really cold days to help my furnace out so it doesnt have to run super hard.Do you think that it will work for that?
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

No, for the reasons I already mentioned.....that exhaust is a NIGHTMARE waiting to happen.
  7. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    If i upgraded to 4 " pipe would that solve my problem?
  8. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    imacman is correct. That 12' horizontal run is disaster. If you could simplify the venting you would be way ahead of the game. I have the 6041 and honestly it makes more heat than I need. I have tinkered with it a bit but just the same. How long was the vent system before? Maybe that is why you were disapointed in the performance.

At any rate, I wouldn't connect it like the diagram shows. It more than likely violates the building codes as well as being a safety issue for you and your family
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

4" pipe isn't going to stop the ash buildup in that horiz. pipe.
  10. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    Well I already have a hole in my wall so im going to give it a shot. Im not going to use it that much and if I have to blow the ash out of the pipe once a week and it works i will. I really have no other options. My old set up was 5' up and 1' out the wall. One thing I did do was drilled four little holes in the freeze plug looking cap where the intake hose hooks up like the directions say to. I must have over looked that in the directions. So im hoping thats helps.
  11. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    The USSC directions can be vague at best. I found one place that said drill the holes and another that said remove the cap completely. The other thing is did you connect the flex pipe INSIDE the stove? The flex pipe goes from the back side of the burn pot to the rear of the stove. You can see the 2" steel sleeve coming out the back. Otherwise the OAK is useless.

BTW I decided to remove the cap behind the pot. I don't know for sure if that is the best way but the little holes that I drilled made no noticable difference.
  12. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    Originally i didnt have the flex hose hooked up or the holes drilled, but now they are. Is my biggest problem with my pipe set up going to be ash build up? Im planning on finishing the install this weekened. Do they make any kind of fan i could put outside on the end of the pipe to help draw some of the ash out? Any other ideas? Thanks for all the help so far!
  13. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    In my opinion, yes the ash buildup will be a problem. If you are determined to do it there should be as much pitch as you can get. I can't remember for sure but I think even on short runs there is a requirement of 1/4" per foot rise. Please bear in mind that we are more than nervous about that setup. It is not meant to be criticism it is simply concern for the safety of you and your family.
  14. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    What is making the set up a safety concern? I have used the privided through the wall kit and all the other pipe is in a block garage on the backside of my finished basement then it exits through a block wall. Besides the ash build up what makes it unsafe? I would think the only problem i would have would be if i had to much ash build up it would just choke out the flame and shut the stove down.
  15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Ash build up and possible volatile combustion by product condensation in the venting due to the restriction of the exhaust gas flow in the horizontal run is one, the other is the possibly of items hitting the run and opening up a seam.

The first could result in a fire in the venting and the second in exhaust entering your house.
  16. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT
    You may be correct! The people here are very safety conscious. As I am. I think one issue might be that it may not be able to push all the exahust gas out. There should always be carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors on every floor.

But check these links out. If you do a search right here on tis site you will find many house fires caused by pellet stoves. Almost all of them were caused by poor maintenance and improper installation. Listen to Smokey he is one of the most knowledgable people here.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/fire-crews-battle-flames-in-gerry

http://www.wfsb.com/story/20529374/large-fire-reported-in-somers

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/5518381.html
  17. frogman

frogman New Member

I have the same stove and asked the same question a few years ago i have a set up like this stove is in the basement vent goes up 5' to a horizontal with a 24 inch then up again for 30" i know it is not the recommended with 3 inch pipe but my set up works for me I clean the vent every week since i could not return the pipe for 4". Now since this setup works for me im not saying it will work in your case but since i do clean it with a sooteater every 2 weeks regardless of how many bags i run. and i blow out the pipe after i use the vent cleaner it is working great for me but you have to do alot more work than the other owners do. to me it is worth it since the vent is pricey and the pellets i burn are OHP and they are good for me and t]my stove. see the pic of they way mine is set up. like i said this works for me but is a lot of extra work if you dont mind cleaning the vent almost every week!!

Attached Files:

18. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    Well im hooking it up tomorrow so i hope it works. I will be keeping my eye on it and making sure its clean. Thanks for all the help!
  19. frogman

frogman New Member

12 feet is a long run i was nervous about my set up i would be very careful about this.is there any way to get the stove closer the the outside wall?
  20. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    I cant get it any closer. It goes from a finished basement through the wall and up and over through a garage. It has been working good for two days now. The exhaust pipe is only warm to the touch. I made sure to put the 1/4 inch per foot rise on the horizontal run. I can feel the heat coming out of the exhaust. I see you have the same stove. What kind of temp rise do you get from it on setting one? My room is finished and is 63* with no heat. On setting one it goes to 68* max. Does that sound right? It seemed to make the room the same temperature before and after I insulated and finished it. I just thought it would heat it alot more now that the room is tight.
  21. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Did you insulate your basement ceiling?

Is the basement closed off from the upper parts of the house?

Describe what you mean by insulated?

Describe what you mean by tight?

Do you have an OAK installed?
  22. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    By basement has insulated studded walls with drywall. My ceiling is a drop ceiling. I did not hook up my oak yet. I didnt want to punch another hole through my wall untill i fired it up and was feeling some heat. Does the kit make a big difference?
  23. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The OAK will stop some of the air you have already heated from going up the flue and cold air from being drawn into the basement from every crack in the envelope. What that will do in your case I can't answer but it won't hurt.

Your description indicates that it is likely there is no insulation in your basement ceiling.

You are going to have heat from the basement transfer into the upper floors through the ceiling. So some of the heat is going up. If your stove is sitting on concrete some of the heat is going to go into the concrete via conduction.

I don't know what firing rate #1 amounts to in pounds fed to the burn pot but if it follows a lot of stoves I'll call it 1 pound meaning about 8000 BTU/hr gross perhaps 6400 BTU/hr net if the stove is spotless.

Is there another heating system in the basement and is it running?
  24. fastmike22

fastmike22 Member

Loc:
    western pa
    My main furnace is in the basement also. But all my regs are shut off so it only heats the upstairs. My pellet stove is still on the crate so its prob 6" off the floor. Im not sure off the btu/hr it puts out. The area in my basement im heating is 22'wx38'L
  25. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Your other heating system is also sucking air out of the basement unless it is OAKed and likely at a higher rate than the stove and if the stove isn't starved for air then you have quite a bit of air infiltration into your basement.

You have over 5600 cubic feet of air to heat and a good sized heat loss area and likely a good deal of infiltration.

Does your heating system have a powered exhaust or is it into a chimney?