US Stove 8500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KESinger

Mar 10, 2016
Michigan
I've posted about my stove before. This is the second 8500 that I've had in under two years. US Stove replaced the first one. After a month of use, the second one started having the same issue - poor burning, incomplete pellet burn, stove stops feeding until fire almost goes out, then feeds again and relights. In addition, I am getting a considerable amount of saw dust in the cabinet where the draft fan and electric boards are located. Because of the sawdust, I stopped burning the stove for fear of a fire hazard.

Menards has offered to let me return the stove and duct work for a full in store credit. My issue is, they don't sell an equivalent pellet furnace that will provide the same amount of BTU's. Their proposal is a Drollet ECO - 65, which has far fewer BTU's.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove. I would be using it to heat an approximate 2400 square foot house. I see the dual five inch ducts. Could I duct those into my existing trunk line that I installed for the 8500 and use that to pipe heat throughout the house?

I like the concept of a pellet furnace, especially with propane costs being what the are, but I don't want to buy something that is going to require the use of both pellets and propane.

Any input would be appreciated.

I've posted about my stove before. This is the second 8500 that I've had in under two years. US Stove replaced the first one. After a month of use, the second one started having the same issue - poor burning, incomplete pellet burn, stove stops feeding until fire almost goes out, then feeds again and relights. In addition, I am getting a considerable amount of saw dust in the cabinet where the draft fan and electric boards are located. Because of the sawdust, I stopped burning the stove for fear of a fire hazard.

Menards has offered to let me return the stove and duct work for a full in store credit. My issue is, they don't sell an equivalent pellet furnace that will provide the same amount of BTU's. Their proposal is a Drollet ECO - 65, which has far fewer BTU's.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove. I would be using it to heat an approximate 2400 square foot house. I see the dual five inch ducts. Could I duct those into my existing trunk line that I installed for the 8500 and use that to pipe heat throughout the house?

I like the concept of a pellet furnace, especially with propane costs being what the are, but I don't want to buy something that is going to require the use of both pellets and propane.

Any input would be appreciated.
I would really firmly request my money back in cash in full. Not an in store credit. Like go to your fire marsha,l insurance company, or state consumer protection. Then go look at a different stove furnace.

I have a Drolet Eco 65 and would not recommend it for your setup if your looking for 100,000+BTUs. I think the winter in your area is much worst than where I am on the west coast of Canada.

The two 5" ducts on the Drolet cannot be hooked up to existing larger duct work (I think it might have mentioned it in the manual). It only has one 500CFM fan vs. two 800CFM fans. Depending on your layout, the max length of duct work is 20'. I have the plenum kit installed and I'm a little disappointed with its performance. You need the convection fan and the feed rate to be close to max to get decent heat coming out.

The two 5" ducts on the Drolet cannot be hooked up to existing larger duct work
Firburner, I think that may be something that varies between the US and Canada ... not allowed in Canada.
PS Can't remember which furnace manual I was looking at but clearly stated the difference on hooking up to existing ventilation ducts between US and Canada. The manual with the ECO65 will be the final voice for building/fire officials in approving set-up ... it says no, so it is no.

Last edited:
Good point about the US and Canadian rules, Lake Girl.

I looked up the manual and it has:
· DO NOT CONNECT TO OR USE IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY AIR DISTRIBUTION
DUCTWORK.

I assumed from that statement that I couldn't hook it up to my existing ducts, though my old duct system was way oversized for the Drolet anyways. In regards to the OP's situation, if their trunk line is much bigger than the equivalent two 5" ducts, your going to lose the velocity in the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.