Used Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David T

Sep 22, 2012
I have a chance to buy a four year old Jotul Castine. I see where Jotul is advertising a " new and improved air wash system" for the latest models. Any one know if a four year old castine had more issues than a brand new one with the air wash. I never really looked at used stoves before. Wonder what the price range might be in excellent shape for a four year old Castine. Any help appreciated.

Thank You

David

I'm not aware of any major changes. Nor have I heard of any issues with the "old" airwash. It would depend if it's enamel or flat black, but I would say it should be in the $1000-$1400 range.

I had a 2006 Castine and it was a fine stove. It was blue-black enameled and I sold it in 2008 for $1800. The used price will depend on whether it's enameled or painted. For a 4 yr old stove, painted could go for $1000 to 1500 and enameled maybe $2-300 higher. It all depends on the condition of the stove and how quickly the seller wants to sell it.

For sure you will want to inspect it closely for signs of overfiring and/or cracks around the grate if they used the ashpan door for starting or running the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.