used saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I've been the market for a new saw here lately..... my wife likens it to a crack head wanting to add another crack pipe. Any way i figured I'd look at used saws on eBay. I was blown away at the prices. Just about every saw goes for top dollar. I seen a couple yesterday that you coulda bought brand new for another $50.00 or $60.00, with a warranty. Has anyone else experienced this or is it me just trying to be a cheap a@#?

have you tried craigslist? My father just picked me up a 034av this morning that I still have to get from him, it was bought at a yard sale.

Take your time if you don't need one right away and you will know when you see the one to get when the price is irresistable.

I have seen stihl saws for as low as $40 listed with high compression and spark but can't get started, usually a simple carb cleaning fixes them because they sit a long time and then they are worth probably 5 times that, but these deals sell so fast you barely have a chance to buy.

ya that's kind of my thinking. I'm just gonna keep an eye on craigslist because eBay is way to much.

Ebay is great place to buy one if you need it now, the problem is there is a whole lotta people buying so prices will get up there.

I bought a ms290 in good condition for $175 with a couple of chains and a case a couple of yrs ago from Craigslist.

I got a good running Shindaiwa 757 with 36" bar for $175 a couple weeks ago and picked up a good running 488 for $75 to go with it. Both were craigslist finds.

Another place to check is the ads in some of the chainsaw sites as there can be a good deal found there from time to time.

Anything Husky or Stihl seems to draw a lot of attention. Not so much fo Shindaiw, Jonsered, and some of the other lesser know saws.

Attachments

• DSCN09570004.jpg
    DSCN09570004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN09540001.jpg
    DSCN09540001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 289
Ebay is where you sell saws.

Craigslist, local want ads, garage sales etc. are the places to buy.

I could never see buying a saw without checking it out in person and running it.

Forget ebay. Ebay used to be the place to buy things cheap. Not so much anymore. Im not saying you cant catch a deal now and then on something but...

I can't seem to find anything cheap on my local craigslist. Im just saw an older 029 stihl asking $350. Im finding it harder and harder to buy anything cheap anymore. Im still keeping my eyes peeled for an older saw that needs some tinkering for under $100.

Alderman said:
I got a good running Shindaiwa 757 with 36" bar for $175 a couple weeks ago and picked up a good running 488 for $75 to go with it. Both were craigslist finds.

Another place to check is the ads in some of the chainsaw sites as there can be a good deal found there from time to time.

Anything Husky or Stihl seems to draw a lot of attention. Not so much fo Shindaiw, Jonsered, and some of the other lesser know saws.

That 488 looks intresting to me. A steal if its a good runner. What cc,s and good for you?
Shindaiw, has not had any bad publicity from what I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.