1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    It works pretty good. It blends in when it rains and the grass seems to be greener.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JBinKC

JBinKC Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Construct an ash hopper and you can make potassium hydroxide aka lye. Used in soap making, a necessary reagent in making biodiesel or use on clogged drains as examples.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    1. Driveway for traction and melting . . . since it is a gravel driveway it tends to get ground in over time and since I spread it out it doesn't really track in . . . I get more mud and sand in the garage and mudroom than anything else.

2. Mix with cement and make concrete busts of Backwoods Savage splitting wood vertically.
    begreen likes this.
  4. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Driveway for traction.
  5. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I keep a 30 gallon ash can about 2/3s full for annealing and for slow cooling of welded cast iron. Use some in garden and some for landfill. Going to try oil cleanup.
  6. nate379

nate379 Guest

I just dump it in a pile out back. Same spot I dump grass clippings, leaves, dog, moose, duck and chicken poop, etc. I guess kind of a compost pile of sorts?
  7. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    I have to agree with a previous post. I use all my ashes in the lawn for moss prevention.

My grass was loaded with the stuff. I sprinkled ashes over the entire area a few weeks ago and now there are brown patches where the moss has died.

It seems the moss dies faster in the winter for whatever reason. I have treated the stuff in the summer, but it took several treatments. In the winter it seems one application does the trick.

Be sure that you aren't expecting any rain or snow for about a week. You want the ashes to sit on top of the moss for a while working it's magic.

The great thing is it greens up your yard quite a bit once spring hits.
  8. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford NH
    I ued to have a moss problem on my lawn. Broadcast ash over and had a vast improvement. Lime never seemed to have the same results as ash.
  9. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    I would be concerned about tracking it into the house. My wife would go bananas. But I don't actually see the traction quality. As I have said before, it works good on my lawn, especially on the moss.
  10. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Do you wear your boots past the door?

Tracking is a non-issue. Ash stays put in my experience, and it works better than sand/salt too!!
  11. NickDL

NickDL Member

Loc:
    Souderton, Pa
    I never really knew that you could use ash for things, I always thought that it was just trash. Time to start saving it and adding it to the compost and lawn. Thanks for the info.