Using All Of The Pieces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I lined the chimney for the main floor insert this year with double wall liner. Since it is an insert and the liner kit only came with a tee I had to buy a cast iron adapter for the insert and had a leftover tee on my hands. This month I pulled a liner down to the thimble for the little Jotul in the basement. After a few hours of cursing and trying to get the tee down the flue I followed Todd's lead and just pulled the liner into the thimble up to five inches from the end of the thimble.

I then packed around the liner inside the thimble with Roxul mineral wool and attached a two foot piece of the double wall liner left over from the insert install upstairs and mortared it in with furnace cement. I then attached the 304 stainless tee that I had paid for but couldn't use for the insert liner installation. Since I sealed the joints at every step with furnace cement I lit off the little F100 this afternoon to cure the cement joints. The draw on the thing makes it look like a natural gas stove burning. On a 67 degree day!

I now have stainless from four feet over the stove to the top of the chimney and when the two pieces of seamless stainless pipe I have ordered come in it will be stainless from the stove to the sky. And to clean the chimney I will just pull the cap off of the tee, grab the rope attached to the chimney brush and pull'er down. The crap ends up in the stove on its way to the ash bucket.

The one thing I couldn't get was the 1/4 inch rise in the pipe to the thimble. To give any drain down a place to live I left a one inch drop in the liner where it meets the thimble to collect moisture until it gets a chance to get burned and shot up the chimney.

Attachments

• tee.JPG
    tee.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 403
If that were plumbing what an ideal place for a y fitting I wonder if any one makes one the sweep of 90 degrees and the access for cleaning Well after all the discussions you got it there. Litte swearing I bet good job

Michael6268 said:
Sounds like it worked out ok for you. How did you attach the piece of double wall to the end of the liner 5" in the thimle though?

Ah someone picked up on that!

The liner kit came with flanged stainless sleeves that fit inside and outside the liner. The large outside one is to adapt the 5.5 inch liner to six inch pipe and rain caps. I put the small one inside the liner and larger one inside the double wall flex piece coated with furnace cement. I then coated the liner in the thimble with furnace cement. The flange on the end of the large piece inside the double wall extension then screwed onto the corregations on the 1/2" smaller single wall liner liner in the thimble. With the liner in the thimble packed tightly in mineral wool and the extension mortared in with five inches of furnace cement and the inside joints mortared, it ain't gonna be leaking or going anywhere.

The alternative would have been pulling the liner all the way through, attaching with screws and then pushing it back. I decided that would be too rough on the liner material.

Good job,
Glad you figured a way to use that T. It doesn't look like it sustained any damage when you threw it off your roof? ;-)

Todd said:
Good job,
Glad you figured a way to use that T. It doesn't look like it sustained any damage when you threw it off your roof? ;-)

Actually the one that got flung into the woods from the roof top did take a ding or two. It was smaller and lighter gauge than the one left over from the insert install so I used that one instead.

Took a little while to find the flung one. The old arm is in better shape than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.