Using both rigid & flex liner for an install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
I've asked this same type of question in one of my previous posts, but the title was oriented towards Lopi Declaration owners. Anyhow, this insert requires 15 ft of liner. My chimney flue to the unit would be approximately 14 ft. What is the opinion of the crowd in terms of both being used (rigid & flex) as it will need to extend out of the chimney one foot?

Hi,

My single wall rigid extends 3' out the top of my chimney. Through four seasons of use, I get very little creosote build up and clean the liner only once a year.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 290
Does the single wall rigid run the length of the flue to the unit, or does it connect to flex somewhere?

I have a flex liner through the flue connected to the rigid and up. Pokes out the top about 3 feet...

27' liner here.
5' of flex through the old damper and up through the transition, connected to double wall insulated the rest of the way up.
Love it, drafts great, cleans great. Glad I did it!

Here are some pics of the chimney & flues (Oil Boiler w/ Spark Arrestor & Ghetto"ly" Capped Fireplace Flue). The Oil Boiler flue will need to capped as the 57 year old York Shipley Oil Boiler died in early december. Then we got an air source heat pump. Hence me joining this site and demanding real heat.

Attachments

• SSPX1116.jpg
    SSPX1116.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 209
  • SSPX1117.jpg
    SSPX1117.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 203
  • SSPX1129.jpg
    SSPX1129.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 216
The flexible liner typically will be less expensive and easier to install, especially if there are off sets in the chimney. There are 18" flue extenders that can be attached right to the flex liner top plate, and add your cap to that.rigid

Hi -

I needed a few feet also. My install lookes like jbrown56's above but I made a transition from liner to one 3' section class A chimney. This also makes it really easy to walk up, remove, and clean from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.