Using i3100 insert as a free standing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Any input on this? I am currently burning a 5 yr old Regency i3100 and this unit has been performing well. The unit vents through a 5" SS flex liner to an external stone masonry chimney. Thing is I want to remove the red brick insert and hearth and just have a free standing stove not an insert reliant upon a fan to move the heat.

Is the stove designed to radiate or should I be looking at a new stove altogether ?

The insert is designed for convective heating. If you want a radiant heater it would be better to sell the insert and design the space for a free-standing heater that is strongly radiant. Most likely it will require a 6" flue.

Any input on this? I am currently burning a 5 yr old Regency i3100 and this unit has been performing well. The unit vents through a 5" SS flex liner to an external stone masonry chimney. Thing is I want to remove the red brick insert and hearth and just have a free standing stove not an insert reliant upon a fan to move the heat.

Is the stove designed to radiate or should I be looking at a new stove altogether ?
It also is not as easy as just removing the red brick "insert" it is probably a full masonry fireplace which you would have to remove the entire chimney to do. Do you have a block off plate installed in the fireplace? And are you sure it is a 5" liner regencies are not approved to work on 5".