Using Newspaper to start fire ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
Adios Pantalones said:
My problem with newspaper is that I need to bring 2 sheets because as soon as I start crumpling it up, Shamus starts nudging and growling at me- so I have to throw it for him and use the second sheet to start the fire.
62497_1429009567077_1287984025_31021095_833226_n.jpg

Adios, I hate to sound like a girl, but that face is just adorable.

Just love your pink toenails as well.

I too loved the face on your dog . . . and missed seeing your pink toenails until BK pointed it out . . . which promptly caused me to laugh. :)

Newspaper and kindling for me.. until that fails, Im not spending money on supercedars.

Funny thread to me - I don't like newspaper at all, never did even before I was introduced to SC. I went with kindling and dare I admit it - tinder. You know - those really small pieces of wood that you can light with a match? I have never liked to burn paper as it makes for flying bits floating around and often times stinks. I was taught at an early age to simply make up some tinder and build up from there... granted I was always taught a bottom up method - now more enlightened (pun intended) to work from the top down.

I REALLY like the SC starters as well. Got hooked on them when my first stove had to be lit 2x a day (only when I wanted to be warm of course) so I bought a box of 100 and broke them into 1/6 size pieces to replace the tinder and still used kindling. Cheap SOB I know... Last year with the FV I didn't have to start nearly as many fires - went months without a re-light (funny how that works eh?) so when I did finally start needing to do it again in the spring I stood there looking at my still almost full box of SC thinking why am I splitting these down so small and using kindling when others just use the SC? So I tried using 1/4 and just the splits and it worked fine... so I'm a convert.

Now, I have a rather large pile of splitter trash and sticks that piled up over the summer. Lots of kindling that I just can't let go to waste so I'll be back to kindling whenever we finally start burning this year (will we even have a shoulder season here or will we just skip right into 24/7?). Still, no paper in the plans but I will be working on my lifetime supply of SCs - I do rather hope they have a long shelf life...

i dont have a wood stove, but i do light fires, and I'm partial to dryer lint. If i'm trying to light wet wood or fire in rain, i add a wee bit of vaseline.

If God didn't want us to use twigs to start fires they wouldn't be made of wood.
Besides, SuperCedars seem much too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.